2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power door/window switch

Old 08-05-2007, 12:53 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Power door/window switch

Anybody know how to pull the thing out?

The truck is killing me this month. Passenger power window died. No whining or grinding, just dead. Fuse is fine, driver's side window works fine, power locks work fine on both sides.Thoughtthe power lockshad died a few months ago, and one day it just "snapped" out of it and started working again.

My guess is:
1. window motoron pass side circuit breaker tripped,
2.window motor is shot or,
3.driver side power door/window switch has short - LEDs haven't worked in years, may also explain the "buggy" door lock problemI had. My understanding is the driver side acts as a master, and the pass side is a slave device. So if the driver's side is shot, the pass side won't work, correct?

1&3 obviously cheapest to fix. Anybody know what a "trim panel removal tool" is? Fancy name for a screwdriver or putty knife?

Making a list for the salvage yard...might pick up a Winstar electric fan set if they have one.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:40 PM
atcsat64
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Power door/window switch

Trim panel removal tool - mine is a wide bent screwdriver (or narrow putty knife)with a slot in the middle for the nylon fasteners. I would suspect the drivers door power control set, the passenger side motor almost never wears out. Yours doesn't open from either side of the truck, right?

Old 08-05-2007, 01:46 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

That's correct, it doesn't work from either side. And the passenger window gets used a heck of a lot less than the driver's side, good call!

I was digging thru the service manual to try to figure out how to get that stinking switch out, but it only says remove it, not how to remove it. Is the power control set a different piece?

Old 08-05-2007, 01:52 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

to remove the sitch from the door just pull up on it there is only a cupple clips holding it in

Old 08-05-2007, 01:58 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Thanks Ryan, I didn't want to break it tugging too hard and not be able to figure out how to put one back in.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:06 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

if its being real strbbron lift it up about a 1/4 in or so just so you can see between the switch panel and door panel there is 1 clip on the front and 2 on the back (or the other way around) if u use a blade screwdriver to push them in till come out easer

when i had to take mine out i was pissed off so i just grabed onto it and yanked and it came out no problem. about a year and a half ago my power locks shortd out they would work from the pass side but not the drivers side i checked everything replaced both switches (i now have one with auto window on the drivers side ) then about 3am i got an idea so i went out cut the wires that go to and from the drivers side to pass side hooked 2 new wires up and it worked so somwehrer between the drivers side and pass side there was a short in the wire so i just abandeds the wires and ran new ones so i dont think the pass side is compleatley a slave to the drivers side at least for the locks because tha pass side would lock both

Old 08-05-2007, 02:19 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

My passenger side does lock both. And it arms the alarm.

What I reallywant is a window lock on my driver's side, that way when I fart I can torture my fiance. [:@],[&:],...[:'(]

Old 08-05-2007, 02:57 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

hmmm if u do that u may become single again

Old 08-05-2007, 03:03 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Oh no, that next summer's mod!