2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque Converter Clutch Malfunction

Old 08-09-2007, 08:46 PM
humble07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Converter Clutch Malfunction

Sup guys, i have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, 360 v8 2WD. The truck has 90,000 miles and has outlasted our other trucks in the family, no major problems until around 80,000 miles. These were nothing seroius, just replacing brake disc rotors and wheel bearings from JC Whitney ( i warped them when i let my pads get low and was 20 miles from home) , upper and lower control arms and pitman arm bc i hated the permanent seals that dodge made and now i can go under and lube my own chassis, water pump, and TPS (throttle position sensor) myself. All together about $500 since 1997, not bad. But now my tanny is begging for attention. The check engine light is on and i had the code pulled at Autozone and it said P0740 which is a "torque converter clutch circuit malfunction". I change my fluid, filter and adjust my bands every 12,000 miles. Has anybody else ever ran into this? The only things ive done is changed the fluid. Sometimes the light goes off and comes back on when the clutch engages at cruise speeds after 45mph. I was wondering if any battery acid or corrosion messed with any connections. I would rather replaced the whole unit but i dont know if i can do it my self without dropping my tranny. My manual doent say anything about repairing it but does give me the code readouts. Have at it gear heads!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque Converter Clutch Malfunction