2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

How to put it in 4 wheel drive..

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Ramthis98
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05DodgeRamHemi
I know it sounds queer I am asking this...but when I bought my truck it didn't come up with an instructional manual. Anyways, when I am changing the different gears in the front differential, should I put the truck in neutral or in park. A few times when I was changing the floor shifter to various positions, it would make a very loud grinding noise because I had it in Park. Am I safe to play with the floor shifter if the transmission is in Neutral??
Put it in neutral first, thn change to wat ever u want ,

Old 04-13-2013, 07:12 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4hi can shift on the go at speeds under 40MPH. 4Lo requires neutral and a complete stop. I usually have the truck rolling then put it in neutral then shift into 4lo as it engages quicker that way.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:50 AM
FITZY228

I have a 2001 dodge ram 2500 5.9 cummins and it seems i have tried all these ways of shifting into 4 wheel drive and ill get an occasional grind but other than that she works good, how bad is this to the tranfer and or tranny i thought i would ask cuz dodge isnt known for its amazing tranny thanks

Old 12-11-2014, 12:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

For shifting from 2 hi, to 4 hi, I just let off the gas, and give the expensive stick a yank. Works fine. Getting into 4 lo can be a bit more interesting, but, I have found that moving DEAD SLOW, letting off the gas, and giving the stick a hard pull works fairly well.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:43 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Double post

Last edited by merc225hp; 12-11-2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 12-11-2014, 02:08 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2H to 4H or 4H to 2H
Shift while moving at any legal speed. The shift will be easier if you momentarily release the accelerator pedal. Apply a constant force while shifting the transfer case lever. 4H is to be used for traction when driving in rain, snow, mud or sand or when driving off-road. Never drive in 4H on dry paved roads.

Note: During cold weather (below 30F.) it may be more difficult to shift the transfer case while the vehicle is moving. If so, stop the vehicle and shift. Move the vehicle forward or backward to complete positive engagement of the gears.

4H to 4L or 4L to 4H

Slow the vehicle to under 3mph shift an automatic transmission to N (Neutral) or depress the clutch on a manual transmission. Shift the transfer case lever to the right and pull firmly down to 4L. Do not pause in transfer case N (Neutral)

Note: Pausing in transfer case N (Neutral) in vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission may require shutting the engine off to avoid gear clash while completing the shift.

Do not attempt to shift to or from 4L while transmission is in gear or clutch is engaged.

Last edited by merc225hp; 12-11-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:45 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

My old man swore the truck had to be turned off to go into 4lo, when I did it with the engine running in neutral he of course said that it was because I didn't care what I broke haha.
But yes it can be shifted with the engine running most of the time, I have found like stated before that a little movent of the vehicle helps, (I ike to shift on a hill so that if I feel it not fully engage I can let off the brake a little and help it) sometimes though mine will just refuse to shift into lo with the engine running so I turn it off and complete my shift

Old 11-27-2023, 09:36 AM
Rammin'Ewe
Default Grrrls do it, too!

Originally Posted by XXL 1500
lmao i feel so UNCOOL doing that for real around people.

i try and make up a technical term when i have a girl in the truck and she asks Why did u have to do that?

i have said things such as....

Well you see, the syncronizers in the transfer case in this year truck dont operate correctly on a Low to High gear ratio shift, causing a lot of slippage into final drive and affects my crawl ratio....

blabbing i kno but it works pretty good lmao

haha
Us Grrrls with Big Trucks sometimes have to use Techno Babble to distract the uninitiated, non-gearhead guys, too. Give the gals a REAL answer, because *SURPRISE!* maybe they REALLY do want to know! My 1st BF explanations made me fall hard for trucks, and I've owned nothing but for 40 years.

Quick Reply: How to put it in 4 wheel drive..