2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

clanking

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 02:14 PM
lt1firebirdslp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clanking

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L Magnum V8 with an A4 transmission. I have noticed a problem lately with my truck when turning to the left. Its like its jerking forward and all i hear is this lound clanking sound coming from the left front wheel. Upon further examination I removed the wheel, calliper and rotor. When at full lock to the left the axle will barely roatate but when you have the wheels straightened out the axle will roatate without that locking up feeling. The opposite (right side) front wheel roatates freely at all angles left or right turning. I also noticed that I am leaking fluid from the left front axle tube. Any suggestions? Wheel bearing? Hub bad? There's a u-join in the mix there, maybe thats bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you have any questions in return I am more than glad to help out I am pretty good with wiring/electrical questions as I have done a lot of that already to my truck.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:50 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: clanking

Bad u-joint.
Factory ones can't be greased.
Rusty powder around the u-joint caps is a sure sign it gone dry and seized

Old 10-18-2007, 03:04 PM
lt1firebirdslp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup def rusty as heck in there. any ideas about the fluid coming out of the axle tube.... just a seal? easy to fix?

Old 10-18-2007, 08:35 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya it's just a seal but if it's leaking on the driver side it's a big job to fix

Quick Reply: clanking