2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 03:21 PM
suthernoutlaw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny problems

i recently had my tranny flushed, and filter changed on my 98. it has been doing fine, until a few min ago. it isnt wanting to shift till higher rpms. its not slipping and the fluid level is good, any suggestions will help. thanks....

Old 10-18-2007, 04:24 PM
DurangoDarrin
Rookie
Default RE: tranny problems

Hey...My cousins 97 did the same thing. His mechanic told him if you flush the whole thing and replace all the fluid on some higher mileage trans. that the viscosity of the new fluid does that. After about 5,000 miles it started shifting like it did before. Dunno...maybe some truth to that. On a personal note I had a Chevy thad kinda did the same thing when I changed the filter and gasket...my cause was the filter fell off in the pan. The thin wire clip it sat in just gave out . Somewhere to start .

Old 10-18-2007, 06:46 PM
suthernoutlaw

i just drove it again, if you let off the gas completelyat about 15mph it will shift..... if you dont let off,it will shift at about 2900 rpms....any other suggestions, i thought it might be the kickdown, but it hasnt been touched

Old 10-18-2007, 08:00 PM
DurangoDarrin
Rookie

It never hurts to adjust it again just to be sure. Give the pan a good look see also. Make sure no wires accidentlygot pinched in the pan, or wires disconnected. Also if there is a reputable trans dealer near you for 19.99 or so you can usually get a road test diagnostic. Cottman did mine a year ago and I rode with him and he walked me thru the computer test as we drove. Mine turned out to be a damaged wire. Just a thought

Quick Reply: tranny problems