Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing crank position sensor...how?

Old 10-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Professional

Default Replacing crank position sensor...how?

I need to replace my crank position sensor in my 97 ram 1500 4x4. With a flashlight i can see it from underneath or through the wheel well (barely). But I certainly can't reach it from either of those places, unless i was to drop off the exhaust Y pipe. What's the best way to go about changing it? Those with experience, please step up.

thanks in advance
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 10-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Veteran

Vehicle: '01 1500: 4x4/360
Default RE: Replacing crank position sensor...how?

Come in from the top of the engine. Its a PITA but I found that coming at it from above is the easiest way. You won't be able to see it, but you can feel it if you slide your hand in between the engine and firewall. The first time I messed with mine I had a lot of trouble, but now that I have figured out exactly which angles to come at it from it goes much easier.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Professional

crap. i hate working blind

happen to know what size the 2 bolts are that hold it in?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

Vehicle: 2005 Ram CTD 4x4, 2000 audi TTQ

your best bet is to lay across the motor from the front... that way you can get your right hand on one side & left on the other.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:15 AM
Professional

ended up being a 1/4 inch hex bit for those bolts.

and i'm confident in saying...if i didn't have my clutch fan removed already, this project would be a real b*tch. the position i found that i could work from was standing on top of the front sway bar in like a half-fetal position with my left hand around the back of the passenger side exhaust manifold and right hand down the back of the motor just to the drivers side of the trans stick tube.

1/4" hex bit, several different length extensions, and a swivel joint all on a 3/8 drive ratchet is what needed for tools.

p.s. i didn't exactly "replace" the sensor, i slotted the mounting bracket holesabout 3/8" and reinstalled. so far the butt-dyno definitely approves of this mod[sm=yeahsmile.gif]we'll see how mileage is affected

http://www.axcessmypics.com/photos/p...b1c548e8be.3g2 (a quick camera phone vid, looks like 0-60 is between 8 and 9 seconds, actually maybe even a little quicker since my speedo hasn't been calibrated for the 285/75/16's, with a little tirespin thrown in there wheni went overa bump)
Old 10-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Professional

for what it's worth : I read somewhere that the easiest way to access the crank sensor is to remove the passenger side inner plastic fenderwell. Never tried it - but makes sense. Maybe someone who has done it may know better. Sorry if this would have helped you if I had been on here earlier but maybe just an FYI for someone else.
2001 Quad Cab 1500 SLT - 5.2 liter - 124k miles - new cylinder heads - plenum gasket replaced - reflashed computer for trans shift lock-up - 180 degree thermostat - 265/70/16 Toyo Open Country HT tires
Old 10-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Professional

i think that's the easiest way for the dakota/durango guys to access it, because their motors aren't tucked so far back under the firewall.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:59 AM

Tags
1500, 52, 97, crank, cummins, dakota, dodge, durango, location, mod, position, positioning, ram, replacing, sensor