2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine stalls after it reaches operating temp

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine stalls after it reaches operating temp

aint sure what emmisioned
The underhood info sticker will tell you if it is EPA or EPA and California.

CMP and CKP signal codes can set when an engine stalls, even if they aren't at fault or malfunctioning. The only way to confirm that they are bad or good is with a scope. However, it shouldn't matter if you're moving or not if the CKP is actually cutting out. CMP can drop without killing the engine (PCM will sub the CKP signal for injector timing and use default/limp settings; fuel economy/performance will suffer).

The problem sounds like agross vacuum leak, which would be in line with it only doing it once warm, when fuel is trimmed downin closed loop and the IAC is no longer in choke position. Not too many places it could draw that much air on a federally emisioned vehicle, but might be on a Cali truck. If your scanner will give data stream, watch your fuel trims. Way positive indicates a big vacuum leak. Should throw P0171& P0174, but Mopars aren't as sensitive as Ford & GM, so maybe not. If your truck is Cali and is equipped with EGR, it could be opening too far, which is going to cause that vacuum leak (EGR won't be used until operating temp is reached). Do you notice a stiffer-than-normal brake pedal at idle?

Old 11-08-2007, 05:46 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if it will start cold
but stall and die when warmed up past 147 degrees F
I would suspect one or oxygen sensors are bad, (or bad wiring to them)
and the PCM computer is getting such false information that it is over leaning the air to fuel ratio. The O2 sensors are not used during a cold startup

Old 11-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

I would suspect one or oxygen sensors are bad, (or bad wiring to them)
and the PCM computer is getting such false information that it is over leaning the air to fuel ratio. The O2 sensors are not used during a cold startup
Nah. The truck will still run even if all the O2's are disconnected. It would just operate in open loop and get crappy fuel economy. It would also throw codes for O2s no change, signal shorted to voltage, etc.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:55 PM
burtbrenneman

i dont see nothing about cali emmissioned. i have already tried puting the old iac back on and did not make any diff.. it started stalling as soon as i put the new tps on it.on my diagnostic reader the short term fuel trim has 0.00% my long term has 4.69%. that is the freeze frame when it throughs the code. fuel system 1 0L, fuel system 2 CL-Fault, calc load % 4.31, ECT 188 map(inHg)9.74, Eng RPM 704

Old 11-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

it started stalling as soon as i put the new tps on it
And you have your answer.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:19 PM
burtbrenneman

i put the old one back on and it still was stalling out

Old 11-08-2007, 03:22 PM
burtbrenneman

i didnt change the tps the first time for the stalling prob

Old 11-09-2007, 03:54 PM
bassbuster

Everybody, Long time listener-first time caller. Great site.

I have an 01 with the 5-9, no EGR.I am experiencing the same problems as burtbrenneman.Stalling after a highway run, or idling for a while. I bought the truck w. 95000 in the winter and unfortunately it wasnt doing itin the cold. but now it is. It has become the bain of my existence. I am mechanically inclined- I think, and I have performed the following:

[ul][*]Replace w. Mopar part- TPS and IAC.[*]Replaced Plenum pan gasket and assorted paraphenalia -180 thermostat- truck ran a little better.[*]replaced plugs and wires and cap, because everybody asks did you check the plugs?(3923)[*]Swapped evap purge solenoid from friends running truck- no diff.[*]Replaced both o2 sensors.[*]Did the rear because the front pinion bearing was toast.[*]Went over all chassis grounds, PCM ground, battery ultra clean and good voltage, although I did not check when hot.[/ul]
did voltage tests on MAP and Crank sensors- OK, although I've heard that sometimes doesn't matter and they could be shot?
Also, brought the truck to Chrysler and figured let them fix it. Fuel pressure checked OK.Said it was the IAC and I needed a rear! Said I just put in the IAC. They also f'd with the idle speed which proved to make the truck even harder to diagnose. So I took the truck away, no more play time.

As far as codes, there were 2 oxygen codes, replaced and they went away. then there was the evap code, combined w. the cam or cank sensor intermittent failure. thats when I replaced the cam sensor to no avail. I believe when the truck is sputtering, it produces these codes that send you on a goose chase. Like the misfire code that I got, which I cant see because the truck runs great till hot. It sure feels like misfiring though.
I dropped the evap canisters and cleaned up best I could. They dont seem clogged because i can blow through them freely? Hoses to the canisters seem fine, and to the tank, however I did not drop it. I think that is this weekend. Does anybody know about this rollover valve on top of the tank?
A few more words about the symptoms. is'nt this exciting?
Truck starts immediately, and runs strong. However it seems like somethings holding it back when hot. like somethings hot.It will lope and I believe starve for air. When I unplug the vacuum lines at the EVAP purge solenoid,it will run a little better, the idle will increase a little and it will oscillate, but run. Is the purge solenoid supposed to tap when cold or hot or at all? Mine doesnt do anything like shawn's dodge. What is that other EVAP solenoid type valve lower than the other? I think theres something fishy there, and will run voltage tests after a trip to the library to read the Mitchell manual.
What do you think about bringing the truck back to another chrysler place and do that freeze frame stuff, would that be beneficial? It's definately out of my realm. One final note, I did that thing to the cat, we are not supposed to talk about, because i thoughtit was clogged. ....Thank you very much for listening.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:55 PM
mdb65037

Sixtysixdeuce

What did you mean when you reply to burtbrenneman about,
(And you have your answer)?

Old 11-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

i put the old one back on and it still was stalling out
But it was not before you messed with the TPS, if I understand correctly. If you have datastream, watch the TPS to make sure it is functioning properly. If not, sweep it with a DVOM (or scope, if you have one) at the PCM terminal. Sounds like maybe a connection was lost/impared in the process of replacing it. Should throw a code, but test it anyway. Of course, a sweep wont tell you if the signal isn't getting to the PCM after it enters the connector, but it will show you if the TPS is working correctly and the wires are in tact.

Sixtysixdeuce

What did you mean when you reply to burtbrenneman about,
He indicating that the problem started after installing the new TPS. It's generally a good idea to start by unchanging whatever it was you changed that caused the problem. Unfortunately, that did not work for him as he has revealed in his latest post.

did voltage tests on MAP and Crank sensors- OK, although I've heard that sometimes doesn't matter and they could be shot?
A voltage sweep on the MAP with a DVOM and vacuum gauge is the only way to test the sensor. However, voltage check at crank or cam sensor will only tell you that it is recieving the reference voltage. You need an oscilliscope (lab scope) to check the signal.

When I unplug the vacuum lines at the EVAP purge solenoid,it will run a little better, the idle will increase a little and it will oscillate, but run.
Because you are creating a vacuum leak, which increases airflow. However, it is unmetered airflow and will cause the engine to run leaner. Not as much on the Dodge's, since they use a MAP instead of a MAF, but leaner none the less.

Also, brought the truck to Chrysler and figured let them fix it. Fuel pressure checked OK.Said it was the IAC and I needed a rear! Said I just put in the IAC. They also f'd with the idle speed which proved to make the truck even harder to diagnose. So I took the truck away, no more play time.
What do you mean screwed with the idel speed? They flashed the PCM? Because you can run an IAC in and out with a scanner or DRB, but it won't change the PCM PROM.

I dropped the evap canisters and cleaned up best I could. They dont seem clogged because i can blow through them freely? Hoses to the canisters seem fine, and to the tank, however I did not drop it. I think that is this weekend. Does anybody know about this rollover valve on top of the tank?
IS it an evap leak code? Adn if so, which one (V. Sm., Sm, Lg., Gross)? Because they can be very difficult to find without a smoke machine. Check the condition of the fuel cap and it's O-ring. Fuel cap feels loose inside of the O-ring is dryrotting/cracking, replace it. Very common cause.

Sounds to me like the next step for you ( and the OP) will be to scope the cam and crank signals at the PCM connector.

Quick Reply: engine stalls after it reaches operating temp