2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine stalls after it reaches operating temp

Old 11-12-2007, 09:59 PM
burtbrenneman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine stalls after it reaches operating temp

what does the fuel system 1 and 2 have to do with the o2 snesors. fuel system 2 has a cl fault fuel system 1 has (OL) with both sensors plugged in.first i unplugged the o2 sensor behind the cat and it through a high voltage fault. the freeze frame had fuel system 1(CL) and fuel system 2 cl fault.second i unplugged the front o2 and through a code and had the fuel system 1 (OL) fuel system 2 cl fault. if i am thinking correctly fuel system 1 had to do with the front o2 and fuel system 2 is to do with the back o2 sensor. why does the fuel system1 change when unplugged but fuel system 2 had no change when u unplug it.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:19 PM
burtbrenneman

what does the fuel system 1 and 2 have to do with the o2 snesors. fuel system 2 has a cl fault fuel system 1 has (OL) with both sensors plugged in.first i unplugged the o2 sensor behind the cat and it through a high voltage fault. the freeze frame had fuel system 1(CL) and fuel system 2 cl fault.second i unplugged the front o2 and through a code and had the fuel system 1 (OL) fuel system 2 cl fault. if i am thinking correctly fuel system 1 had to do with the front o2 and fuel system 2 is to do with the back o2 sensor. why does the fuel system1 change when unplugged but fuel system 2 had no change when u unplug it.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:07 AM
bassbuster

burtbrenneman,
It sounds like you were scoping your truck.Did you fix your rig? I have not.

I tried a new coil, figuring maybe there was too much resistance when it was hot. I actually put it in a 200 degree oven and it was high according to the specs in the Haynes manual. Also did a new throttle body gasket.

I am thinking about cmp mod to try and kick up the timing, or pulling it to inspect. Are they prone to fouling?

Does anybody feel a leaking injector O-ring could cause a vacuum leak? Specifically the Oring that holds the injector in place in the intake.

Does anybody feel an improperly adjusted TV cable could create a stalling condition?

Thanks

Old 12-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Bigwhite2500
Amateur

I had a very similiar problem. On my truck it was oxygen sensor. The truck will run for about 3 minutes before going into closed loop mode. During these minutes there is a heater that gets the sensor up to temp. If the heating element dies the sensor will be below its operating temp when the truck goes closed loop and that throws the fuel injection so far off the truck stalls. If you can keep the truck running the exhaust gases will eventually get the sensor into its operating range and the motor will start running normally. Tom

Old 12-04-2007, 01:38 PM
burtbrenneman

isthere any way to tell if the o2 sensor is bad and wich one it may be. also whenever i put the truck into drive or reverse it will kill it. more often in reverse. is there anything in the transmission linkage that will stall out a truck.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:42 PM
burtbrenneman

is there any kind of sensor or something come into play when u change gears. it seems like when u change gears is when it will stall out and when u r in park and put it in to gear it will die

Old 12-07-2007, 07:50 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry to hear that you are still having problems

my gut feeling is that it is still an oxygen sensor (or wiring to O2 sensor)
problem...as in post number 3

if it where my truck I would confirm this by putting a temporary resistor in the coolant temperature sensor (thermistor) that would fool the PCM into thinking the coolant temperature had not risen above 140 degrees and see if this keeps it from stalling

it is also worth thinking about swapping in 4 'known good' oxygen sensors from a friend's truck if possible

good luck

Old 12-14-2007, 11:55 AM
burtbrenneman

something new to add. when i jerk my steeringwheel the engine will die. could it be something to dowith the asd relay. as i stated befor it also dies when nu put it in drive or reverse. or could it be a bad wire under the steering column

Old 12-14-2007, 04:22 PM
bassbuster

Burtbrenneman,

Maybe when you jerk the wheel it is adding that load to the engine, just enough to kill it, just like putting it in drive.

I tested the brake light switch and tried that, ended up putting a new one in to no avail- $12.50
there are a few PCM connections there.

I am going to look at the VSS tonite, even though my speedo is correct. If it is not working properly, I read that it will affect the IAC performance. Ill do the tests that are in the Haynes manual. I believethere is only the one in the rear on the 2001.

I tested the ASD system as per the Haynes manual. checked out for me, although like you say it sure seems like those symptoms.

Searched the durango forums and someone had similar issues when hot, turned out to be the PCM.

I wish i knew man feel your pain..

Old 12-14-2007, 06:18 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

check/swap coil?
have you replaced CKP?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine stalls after it reaches operating temp