2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear drum brake *CHEAP UPGRADE*

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 06:15 PM
kfd518
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2bit
I'm glad you resurrected this thread. Ours had the line pinched off to the RR when we bought it and the left brake line blew this week. I bought the 1 ton Dodge cylinders and replaced the brake lines. I wanted to change the shoes, drums, hardware, and wheel seals, but already spent $ on unplanned projects. The RR had the star retainers on 2 studs, so with @ 150,000 miles are still the original brakes. Anyhow, they work awesome. I can't wait to replace the shoes and drums. I think the GM cylinders would apply too much rear brake.

I hope you get your brakes working correctly. I'm not familiar with Napa anymore. I like Wagner brakes, the thermoquiets. I get them from Rock Auto. Were your out of round drums Napa? or a different brand?
All parts were advance auto/car quest wearever. Trying Napa ahoes because they are the only local store to offer a "premium" shoe. Getting tired of this 1/2 ton stuff. Used to my 94 f250 which had some beef to all the parts.
Thick rotors heavy drums full float axle. I guess weight shaving is fuel saving though…
Parts aren't what they used to be anymore no matter where you get them from.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:15 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Every brand on Rock auto has 462 in the part # for 1500 RAM

Old 10-25-2016, 06:28 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kfd518
All parts were advance auto/car quest wearever. Trying Napa ahoes because they are the only local store to offer a "premium" shoe. Getting tired of this 1/2 ton stuff. Used to my 94 f250 which had some beef to all the parts.
Thick rotors heavy drums full float axle. I guess weight shaving is fuel saving though…
Parts aren't what they used to be anymore no matter where you get them from.
I love our local Carquest store. They treat us very well. I refuse to put Carquest /advance auto brakes on our vehicles though. Pisses me off, I prefer to buy local, but their brakes are junk. I've been buying more from Rock auto since advance bought Carquest. Really makes me mad, the people at our store are awesome. I don't want parts with a warranty, I want parts that don't need a warranty. Sorry for the rant.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:29 PM
kfd518
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2bit
Every brand on Rock auto has 462 in the part # for 1500 RAM
Quite aware of this asked him about the diff part# and he assured me that it was correct since the catalog said so hahaha. " different companies, different numbers" was his response

Last edited by kfd518; 10-25-2016 at 10:10 PM.

Quick Reply: rear drum brake *CHEAP UPGRADE*