2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 Dodge RAM 1500 Regular Cab 3.9L V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 08:04 PM
rob[GL]
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Dodge RAM 1500 Regular Cab 3.9L V6

Just purchased this truck for $3,700 CAD and am quite happy with it. Has only 200,000KM on it, and it was my birthday yesterday, so I finally had a day off to put my stereo in it. I do however have a couple of questions. First and foremost, how in the heck do I tighten my sideview mirrors? I'll be driving around town, and the wind will blow my mirrors back towards the truck, not a lot, but enough that I can't see properly. Also, is there anything I can do to the truck (inexpensively) to increase the preformance? I'm not looking to make it race-worthy or anything, but being a used vehicle, I'm sure there are a few things I can tune to re-gain lost performance. It's a 5-speed manual transmission, and my girlfriend can nearly out-race me in her 1.6L Chevy Aveo... that's weak.

-Rob

[IMG]local://upfiles/9346/515C5DA3AC69456CB54A3527D1CC5A34.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-14-2004, 09:36 PM
stic
Professional
Default RE: 1996 Dodge RAM 1500 Regular Cab 3.9L V6

is that you jumpin that?might wanna look into some beefy suspension parts if your gonna jump your ram.
as far as parts go...surf the net.this site as well.theres a plethra of info out there for the ram.the guys/girls on here are awesome.
heres some links to get ya started....
good luck.

http://dodgeram.org/support_pgs/tech_index.htm

http://www.offroadexchange.com/modfo...eindex;start=0

http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/faq.html

Old 11-14-2004, 10:44 PM
nmason
Veteran

nice buy.

i got my 96 ram just over a year ago for $8500CAD with only 90000km on it. its been rather flawless for me, gawd i love it. i have the nice alloy rims though.

i have the same problem with my mirrors. never even tried tightening them yet, just roll down the window and puch them back out a half an inch.

to make mine run better a little after i bought it i changed all the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. then had to replace the cat and got some new shocks. soo much better now. as for engine performace, better air intake (coming in the spring) new exhaust (also in spring).

two issues i cant fix are randon stalling out when i first start it up, especially when its cold, and an annoying ticking type of noise coming fromt he engine. no idea what it is and no one can help me out with it.

where are you located?

Old 11-16-2004, 01:12 AM
rob[GL]
All Star

Edmonton, AB

My shocks are fine, no strange engine noise, and never had a problem starting it up or with stalling... Hehe. And I took my door panel off last night, removed the 3 nuts holding the mirror onto the door. Took the mirror assembly inside, removed the plastic backplate (held on with 3 screws) and then found my problem... There are 4 screws that hold some type of U-clamp down onto the mirror pole... they were stripped along one side, so i just removed all 4 screws, filled the holes with superglue, screwed all 4 screws back in, one turn on each screw until they were all in, and now the mirror is so tight i can barely adjust it, i got it set and now it doesn't move at all!

As far as preformance upgrades, there's really nothing I can do aside from what's already been suggested... New plugs and wires, K&N air filter, or CAI, or FIPK, and I think I'll drop the cat...

Thanks for all the chit-chat here, I'll be lurking.

-rob

Old 12-20-2013, 07:12 AM
tjmccoy502

Originally Posted by nmason
nice buy.

i got my 96 ram just over a year ago for $8500CAD with only 90000km on it. its been rather flawless for me, gawd i love it. i have the nice alloy rims though.

i have the same problem with my mirrors. never even tried tightening them yet, just roll down the window and puch them back out a half an inch.

to make mine run better a little after i bought it i changed all the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. then had to replace the cat and got some new shocks. soo much better now. as for engine performace, better air intake (coming in the spring) new exhaust (also in spring).

two issues i cant fix are randon stalling out when i first start it up, especially when its cold, and an annoying ticking type of noise coming fromt he engine. no idea what it is and no one can help me out with it.

where are you located?
I had the same ticking noise in front of the engine, it turns out that it was the timing chain and tensioner.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:03 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tjmccoy502
I had the same ticking noise in front of the engine, it turns out that it was the timing chain and tensioner.
This thread is 9 years old my man...but welcome to DF!

Quick Reply: 1996 Dodge RAM 1500 Regular Cab 3.9L V6