2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Eaton E locker for front

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:36 PM
96BlackRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eaton E locker for front

I have a 96 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 ith 5.9l gas engine.
I am currently in Iraq (will behomenext month)and my truck has been stored at my parents. My dad just emailed me that my front diff locked up. Apparently all the oil drained out and he didn't catch it. So, I plan on replacing the front diff with an Eaton e locker. Good thing I have money saved up from this deployent. I am hoping someone can help me answer a couple of questions. I need to order this stuff so my dad can get it fixed before I get home.

Does anyone know the stock gear ratio? The Eaton for a Spicer 44 shows two models, depending on gear ratio and I don't want to buy the wrong one.
The webpage shows 30 splines for the eaton Diff. Is this the same as stock?
Should I upgrade the axles at the same time? What should I look for?
What else will I need?
Anyone have any problems with the E locker?

I appreciate the help.
Dan

Old 11-19-2007, 01:07 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Default RE: Eaton E locker for front

sounds like a good project. easiest way 2 get your gear size is to call a dodge dealer and give em your vin# E-lockers are great from what i hear, although i cant speak from experience. yes, stock is 30 spline. good luck

Old 11-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

You have the lower gears, the split is as 4.10 if I remember. Stock was either 3.55 or 3.92 as an option, and 4.10s ONLY if it is an Off Road.

The locker is going to come with ONLY the locker. So if its "locked up" you need more then just the locker. In fact the actual carrier which the locker will replace can't have anything wrong with it causing a lock up. If the inside is that screwed up its probably the bearings which need to be replaced, and if its been sitting that long theres a good chance its not even the diff. I wouldn't be surprised if the brakes locked up something like that and the bearings are fine.

Just my opinion though, I would have your dad pop the cover first and take a look inside, or take a pic of it and post if on here.

If you spend the $600 on the locker it'll be sweet, but thats not going solve your problem at all unfortunately. A master rebuild kit for $150 would take care of any issues though, unless its the brakes or something.

Keep us updated on what you decide to do, I'd hate to see you spend the money on the locker thinking its going to fix it when it won't! [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 11-19-2007, 02:02 PM
96BlackRam

Thanks for the replies. Man I hate the slow and spotty internet connection over here. But it's better than nothing.
The two versions of the e locker are 3.73 and down and 3.92 and up. So stock is 3.55. Thanks, I guess I need part # 19695.
If the stock axles are 30 spline then I won't need to buy new ones. That's good.

The brakes are fine and relatively new. It hasn't been sitting. Just not driven much. My dad only uses it to haul stuff that he can't put in his SUV. I drove it over the summer when I was home on leave.

I know I will need new gears as the old ones are cooked. Just trying to find out what is stock. I guess I will order new 3.55s. I don't want to have to redo the rear also.

When you say "carrier" do you mean the pumpkin housing? Not sure what the correct word is.

My dad took it to the shop but all he told me was the front diff was shot due to lack of oil and a pin was missing. Not sure what pin. I have to wait until he comes home from work and maybe get a real answer. I hate trying to fix stuff from half a world away. As far as I know the diff did not explode and damage the housing.

Dan

Old 11-19-2007, 02:21 PM
96BlackRam

The front diff isn't a reverse direction one is it?

Old 11-19-2007, 02:51 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Don't assume you have 3.55 although it is highly possible. It is easier to call and find out. I have 3.55's in my 01 1500 4x4, but taking that 3-4 minutes for them to look it up is well worth it vs. ordering the 3.55 carrier vs. the 3.92 you need or vise versa. Just take a couple min and make sure before you drop that kind of money. As far as being reverse? I dont think it is, but I would wait for someone who knows for sure.. Btw,A carrier is the internal part (not the pumpkin) that connects the axles and ring gear.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Reverse cut is for a high pinion, and the Dodge 44's aren't hp, so you don't want reverse.
The carrier is what is inside the "pumkin" and what ring bolts to. If you get a locker you'll just be replacing the stock open (one wheel peel) carrier to the eaton one.

And the pin you were missing is the cross pin, it holds the spider gears in And if you do get the eaton you don't need a cross pin since the spiders will be replaced by the locker.

Sounds like your on the right track though, just make sure not to get hosed by the shop that does the work! If something seems fishy or way to expensive post up again and we'll tell you what we think. Good luck.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:43 AM
96BlackRam

So besides the locker, gears and install kit, I might need to buy a carrier? I thought the gears bolted straight to the locker. Always learning something new. Anyone know a part number in case I need one? Having trouble getting ahold of my parents with the 8 hour time change. Thanks.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:12 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

You don't need a carrier. You are replacing the stock carrier with the locker.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Yeah, the locker replaces the carrier, so yes the ring bolts right to the locker.

Quick Reply: Eaton E locker for front