2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

turn key nothing happens

Old 12-31-2007, 06:03 PM
z28clone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn key nothing happens

98 Ram, 5.9L

Just got done driving the truck 15min earlier. Battery aint dead. The gauge lights come on and you can hear the fuel pump, but it doesnt activate the starter. I banged on the solenoid and still no change. When I first turn the key, to accessory mode the "security" light is on then all of the others lights too, and allof them go out which I thought seems like normal. I was thinking it could be a security issue.

Im sure there is an ignition fuse under the hood. Ive lost my cover to the fuse box under the hood. Anyone got a cover they can take a pic of so i can see what each fuse means.

Ive also heard of an asd relay. where is it and how can i test whether it works before i buy another.

thanks

Old 12-31-2007, 07:38 PM
tazme695
Default RE: turn key nothing happens

AN ASD RELAY WONT CAUSE A NO CRANK PROBLEM! I WOULD CHECK TOWARD A STARTER RELAY OR THE FUSE INSIDE PASS FUSE BOX! QUICKEST WAY TO TEST IS WITH A TEST LIGHT AT THE S TERMINAL OF THE STARTER HAVE SOMEONE TURN IGNITION SWITCH TO CRANK AND TEST LIGHT SHOULD LIGHT! IF IT DOES NOT THEN DIG INTO STARTER RELAY OR POSSIBLE IGNITION SWITCH!HOPE THIS HELPS HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:54 PM
Silver_Power
Veteran

Yea, sounds like the same problem i had.. after a guy tried to steal my truck he smashed my truck ignition switch and cylinder. It blew the ignition fuse under the hood.. which cause what sounds like your problem.. if my truck wasnt in the shop i would post a picture... will have it up tomorro if no one else has

Old 12-31-2007, 10:38 PM
BoDuke1987
Rookie

yeah its the fuse thats the culprit. My truck did that to me at work. I replace the fuse and it started right up. Thank heavens. I didn't have an extra pair of underwear.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:07 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Dont rule out that ignition switch. I had the exact same problem happen just a week ago. I forked out 150 on a new starter when it wasnt the problem. My relay's and fuses are not the problem. Right now i rigg'd up a wire direct from the starter solenoid and you have to turn the key till u hear the fuel pump come on. 2 clicks) and just tap that wire on the positive terminal. Thats how shes running right now. I dont have the $$ for the new ignition switch, but the best thing to do would be to grab a multimeter and a buddy. Pull that gray plug mounted on the side of the black box of fuses and have your buddy crank to run position. If no voltage, work your way back. to the relay. swap with the blowermotor relay (same size next to the starter relayon right hand side). My problem is before the relay... and all of the other positions work on the ignition. fuelpump kicks on, i hear ya man. Same problem. I was gonna rig up a push button start which would be pretty cool, but... id rather just get it fixed. 60 for a new ignition aint bad. Just make sure you dont jump 2 conclusions before you buy anything like i did. Mine would start, then you could turn off and not get that thing to start until the next day if you kept going until she finally went in my buddys driveway. i swore up and down it was a dead spot on the starter. oh well... my mistake. Do your homework and good luck!

pcfixerpro

Old 01-01-2008, 02:03 AM
Rampant 150
Professional

Does your truck have a security system? I work at adealership, and a lot of the no-starts we have can be solved by locking and unlocking the doors with the key fob.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:21 AM
Silver_Power
Veteran

PC check junk yard.. i scored a Ignition switch and cylinder with key for $50 =)

Old 01-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Chopper1
All Star

Try putting the truck in neutral. Could also be the neutral safety switch.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:28 AM
castironman
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that happened in my 00 ram 2500, in this truck it is a mini 20 amp fuse, from the engine to the driver's fender 4th near the 20 fuse (not mini) power socket.
Hope yours is in the same place, if not look for a 20 amp fuse that is open.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Tarner
Professional

If it's a blown fuse just replace the fuse that is blown.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: turn key nothing happens