2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck won't connect to OBD2 Scanner

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:57 PM
mikejohns89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't connect to OBD2 Scanner

I'll get right down to it. My trucks' (2000 dodge ram 1500 v6 3.9L) OBD2 connector is not giving off any power to connect to the scanner so that I can get it smogged.

(12.27)The day before I was due for a smog; I installed new speakers, headunit, subs, amp and everything worked amazingly. 2 hours of joy riding and listening to music, my entire system I just installed died. I spent the next 4-5 hours checking fuses, rewiring the entire audio portion of the car, taking the headunit apart to see if god was nice enough to put a fuse in there that had blown (he wasnt =P). So I figured the HU just took a ****, and to get a new one (i held off on that till today).

(12.28) I went to go have my car smogged for registration, to find that the guy doing the smog cant connect anything to my obd2. He and I checked around for a little bit to see if we could find any cut wires or something of the sort; no good. So he tells me to go to Dodge and get the connector (i went and ordered it). I took the truck home and looked around a little more, and found a wire that was cut, so i reconnected it, and took it to the smog shop down the street just to see if his obd2 scanner would connect; no good. He tells me to check the "pink wire" so I went home and followed that pink wire all the way up behind the instrument cluster (thats as far as I could go) and now I'm stuck.

Next issue is the radio. I bought a new head unit, installed it; no power. I took a test light and found that the red power cable has power, but the yellow batter constant has none. So I tried taking the constant power from the 12v plug (for cell phone chargers etc) and use that, and it worked.

So, I have my battery constant for my radio, and my obd2 power cable that are dead (no fuses are blown) and I'm stuck. So any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:58 PM
mikejohns89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP! Electrical problem

anyone?

Old 01-11-2008, 03:22 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HELP! Electrical problem

just start tracing wires.. This is a hard tackle over the forum , sorry to say mite be better off and cheaper (we guessing all over the place) have the shop do it.

Quick Reply: Truck won't connect to OBD2 Scanner