2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I got my locker in today!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I got my locker in today!

Finaly, I got my locker in!!!!

Its so sweet, I cant belive the extra traction that I have!
It was the richmond lock-rite.

Its alittle goofy feeling on the street, if I get on the gas moderately around a sharp corner I can feel the tires scuffing, and if I hit it real hard around a corner that back end dont stay planted anymore... haha

I highky recomend them to anyone looking for a locker, they also make a more street friendly one also...

I ended up having to throw new shocks in the back end too, because the action of both tires being locked and me hitting the gas would make my back end hop like crazy... I just threw on some elcheapo gabrials from autozone until I get my lift in the sping and they were be replaced with bilsteins.

I have a few videos for yall... just of a little fun I had today. lol

The first posi burnout my truck has ever made... I just want to stress, I just had to put on new tires becuase of the nasty snow storm we got 2 days ago. I was trying to keep my ****ty tires on there untill now so i could really get them burning but it dident work out... I just did a little one to see the posi marks. I wasent trying whatso ever.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-jRfmgzYCBQand yes, the pavement right there was completely 100% dry.

And a little bit of me punching it around a corner. http://youtube.com/watch?v=-2yN1AOEZU4Was all dry untill the obvious wet spot.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:45 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Default RE: I got my locker in today!

LOL.... i like the 2nd video ... what happen the the traction ??? LOL..

Old 01-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain

Too much power happend to the traction... lol

Its so nice now, as some of you might posibally know my diff before wasent right... it would knock when only one tire was spinning (a result from burning out 1 tire and holding it at 120 mph untill it poped) It pretty much ONLY liked to spin one tire.. so snow traction was almost non existant in 2wd... driving in the winter is soo much better now, im kind of wishing nor another snowstorm to test it out.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya I like the second video! The richmond lockers are deffintly worth it. I installed mine 3years ago no problems no complantes. I love it!

Old 01-12-2008, 10:05 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

Hard to install? can a DIY'er do it?

Old 01-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

The lunchbox lockers can be installed yourself fairly easily.

Other lockers, like a detroit locker require alot more time, effort, tools, knowledge, etc.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain

Oh hell ya... it was easy. but I will just into anything on my truck without much worry.

My only problem in the install was I wasent thinking, and when I had almost everything in, and I slid the cclip through the releif on the non ringgear side driver I forgot to push the axle back in. The c-clip ended up falling in and getting jammed. took me 30 mins to weezle it out of there.

If you drive alot, I think I would suggest the slightly more streetable version as this is very grabby at times. I was pulling around the drive thru at wendys 20 mins ago and I herd "squak squak squak squak" from my tires... When it grabs it doesnt play around, it hooks.

Only other complaint it the amount of backlash it has... I let off the gas and I hear a clunk... Im not sure if its in the locker or my ring and pinion. Im taking it apart tomarow to reset the ring and pinion backlash.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain

Well, we got our first snow while I had my locker in...

I cannot belive the difference in traction. Its like a completly different truck!
Pulling off from snowing intersections isnt scary anymore.

I took it behind my house where there is about 9 inches of snow right now, it went through it in 2wd with ease. No way I could make it in 2wd before the locker. There was a tree limb down on the driveway, it wasent very big... weighed probably 75 lbs. I hooked it up to the truck, and it pulled it right back through that snow in 2wd like it wasent even there...
Traction is 120% better!

I do still have a little bit of a wheelhop issue, Im going to make some traction bars, so that should fix it.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:03 PM
92GreenYJ
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know how you feel man. I remember when I installed my Lock Rite in the front of my YJ. Couldn't beleive the difference it made! I choose to lock the front first since when you are in 2wd, you don't even know the locker is there. For my rear I went with an ARB. Now thats the real difference, having both front and rear locked. I can crawl over anything with little issue now. If i can stop spending money on the truck I want to swap a dana 44 in the front of my Jeep and go with an ARB in the front too. it can be hard to turn on the trail sometimes with the automatic front locker.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:11 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SirHilton

What elevation are you at? I'm trying to figure out why you can spin the tires so easilwith a 5.2. I have the 5.9 with 3.96 gearsand can barley chirp them from a dead stop. It looks like I've done more to thetruck unless you havn't listed all of your mods. I'm also really high up.

Quick Reply: I got my locker in today!