2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

heater core replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:23 PM
danm9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater core replacement

hi. i have a 1996 dodge ram with luke warm heat (common problem apparently). after changing the thermostat and flushing the coolant i still have the problem. i have pretty much decided the heater core needs to be replaced since it is the only thing left (and there is a gurgling sound coming from that area under the dash). i have read that to replace the core i have to discharge the AC lines and i am wondering if this is true because that would suck. it would basically mean that i wouldn't do it myself. if you do have to, why? are the AC lines in the way or is it just a safety issue?

thanks for any help.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:26 AM
v10power
Professional
Default RE: heater core replacement

If you hear gurgling sounds that usually means you have air pockets traped in your cooling system. Try "burping" it before you go through all the hassle of replacing the heater core, which is a chore on these trucks.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a chance that your heater core has pinholes. Mine was gurgling a lot no matter how much I bled the system, and when I removed it the evidence was there. Try bleeding the air first before dismanting the dash.

Also, the A/C lines to NOT need to be removed. It is a chore to replace the core with them in place, but it can be done. Do some searching for "Heater Core" and you will see many threads devoted to this topic. Also, read the DIY sticky at the top of this forum.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:19 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

If you have a leak in your heater core, you WILL smell anitfreeze. Then you will have a small drip coming out of the blower box follow by a large drip. If you let it continue after a large drip occurs, you'll here a bang and the whole inside of your truck will be filled with steam and watter. It took mine about 9 months before the bang.

You have to remove the dash and the AC lines. To me it was worth removing the AC lines because the job is already a chore and trying to get the core out with the AC lines connected just made the job that more difficult. Removing the lines is not that big of a deal. Recharging the system is not hard if you have a vacuum pump and some gauges. A lot of auto parts places rent those out for free.

It could also be the blend door that is broken, but unfortunately that also requires removing the dash and same components that are required to change the heater core.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Gary-L
Legend

^^^ I disagree, Bob. Mine was leaking and there was no smell all of the time. Sometimes I would think I would smell it but most of the time there wasn't. The sound of rushing water was always present.

And NO, the A/C lines do NOT have to be disconnected. It can be done with them in place; however, it makes for a tight fit for reinstalling the new core.

I also recommend an OEM style core over the aluminum replacement.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:07 AM
johnjokela
Veteran

yes get the oem and not the aluminum and i did not have to disconnect the ac lines on mine , i did mine about a month ago not to bad i followed the DIY and it worked out for me, a little brute strength here and there and it will all work out , i had cracks in my dash and after the job i just had bigger cracks from reefing on the dash during the prosess, you can do it yourself in about 6 hrs or less,i took a few breaks (BEER and cussing)or a shop is going to charge you $850 parts and labor, or the stealerships wants $1200 to do it here in reno, just cost me the $95 bucks for the heater core and a few beers , oh yeah if you do it yourself just cut the lines off the heater core inside your engine compartment with the old lady's steak knife,cuz those are a pain in the *** even if the hoses are newand get new hoses and a jug of coolant and some better hose clamps and six pack beer, and some extra tools to throw around to lose when you get pissed, lol

Old 01-24-2008, 11:23 AM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My AC was gurgling last summer.My mechanicre-charged it, said it was on its way out. He also said how cheap Mopar AC cores are. I am going to replace the Heater Core too. It has 13 years on it. Luckily I live in Missouri, where winters are not too bad. I have the same reservations about letting the freon loose. I think I may take it in and see how much to takethe freonout and put it in, then do the cores myself.

In the old days they just let it go in the air!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:42 AM
johnjokela
Veteran

funny you say that because my brother in law went to change his "Alternator "on his pickup and he called me and said ,"whats all this white **** thats coming out of the hoses that i took off to the alternator???" i told him that was his A/C compressor and not his alternatorwhoops!!! + 1 for in the air

Old 01-24-2008, 12:14 PM
2001ramsport
Veteran

Did you try flushing the heater core? Also a simple pressure test of the cooling system should tell you if the heater core is leaking or not.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: 2001ramsport

Did you try flushing the heater core? Also a simple pressure test of the cooling system should tell you if the heater core is leaking or not.
Not if it has pinholes. I pressure tested mine and it held. There are pics of my heater core around here somewhere.

Quick Reply: heater core replacement