2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 1500 leaking antifreeze somewhere around the block

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Unreal2k3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 1500 leaking antifreeze somewhere around the block

This isn't what I need. I was checking my oil earlier yesterday (among other things) and everything seemed to be fine. The antifreeze container was at the full line. Just after driving 15-20 miles and letting it sit for a few hours I was checking my body (these weird black spots are appearing on the front fender and under the hood on the body) and I popped the hood and I noticed nearly EVERYTHING was wet. Just in that distance my container of antifreeze went from full to fill. My belt was wet, I could see the antifreeze splashed on the alternator and the inside of the fender.

I'm leaking it somewhere in the area of the front of the block. To the right of the alternator a bit. I could see it pooling up in this one spot. Any ideas on what it could be?

Old 01-26-2008, 11:55 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Default RE: 99 1500 leaking antifreeze somewhere around the block

Are you SURE you didnt overheat and blow the cap off the radiator? At the same rate, did you check the neck where the hose goes from the radiator into the intake?

Old 01-26-2008, 12:13 PM
zique
Captain

I'd first check your hoses. Also, what about your t-stat housing, the gasket could've blown in that; however, a t-stat wouldn't throw that much out. so...yea...I'd check your hoses.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:03 PM
ozyran
Professional

Definitely check the hoses. Or, worse, it could be the water pump gasket. Start with the hoses (especially the water pump bypass hose that sits under the A/C compressor - if you need to, get down to AutoZone/Advance/Napa/Checker/Pep Boys, get a mirror, and get a decent flashlight.

If the hoses are good, move on to the gaskets - the water pump and thermostat housing gaskets.

If none of those are leaking, then take it one step at a time from there.

Good luck! May it be something cheap and easy.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Unreal2k3

Theres also alot of oil on the engine as well I just noticed. Checked my oil and it WAS at the top of thesafe line, now its at the bottom of that. It went through nearly half the oil.

I planned on changing my oil anyway but still. I'm dropping it off at my mechanics tomorrow and having him take a look at it on Monday. And now I know what all those black spots are....oil. It looks like someone too a black pen and just made dots everywhere. But it comes off easily with just a wet rag.

Quick Reply: 99 1500 leaking antifreeze somewhere around the block