2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

*Post Header Install/Symptoms* (Fresh Start)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: *Post Header Install/Symptoms* (Fresh Start)

Ya, I keep forgetting that it is the post cat o2. That should'nt cause any problems as Indy stated.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:52 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: SilverRam_01

As said above, man, it really sounds like something electrical to me. But from what you describe, it seems like it starts to happen after it warms up for a few minutes? If something was arcing or shorting, it would do it as soon as you started it. What about something like a cam or crank sensor going? maybe the PCM is throwing the timing out of whack when it warms a little? Does it backfire when its running ****ty? Thats the stuff I can think of.... I don't know if any of it will be any help, but others will chime in on what I've said. Good luck man, I like that truck!
good thought on the crank sensor. I havent had any crank sensor failure issues so I havent dealt with that personally, but It seems from what I see of people that have problems with the crank sensor, it stumbles only over 3000rpm. (been described as a bad misfire over 3000rpm) so if its something thats happening at low rpms, I would save replacing that for later.

Check the ignition system first.

(and fill the coolant!)

Old 01-29-2008, 10:58 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

That mechanic called me back, and he said the truck was throwing some codes. 132, 138, and 301. He says its not a job he is willing to do, and suggests I bring it to the dealer to have the computer flashed or something of that nature. He also says that the 02 sensor is reading some very high voltage numbers. Any ideas what those numbers mean to you guys?

Old 01-29-2008, 11:11 AM
highlander73
Professional

P0132: HO2S Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0138: HO2S Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0301: Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

Looks O2 sensor related to me, I'm not an expert just trying to get your issue diagnosed, resolved.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:18 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

The sensors are obviously not right, but again....I seriously doubt that your 301 code (misfire) is related to the 02 sensors.

When you get the truck back, go to the drivers side of the engine, and look at the first cylender (thats cyl #1) Inspect the wireing thouroghly. From what I recall you had a misfire on #2 as well?

Do yourself a favor and take like 600,000 pictures of the engine, mid range shots of whatever you can, a couple far range shots, and whatever you think will be helpful. Get a video of it stumbeling. Post them on here so we can help you as if we were there.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:24 AM
kitchenrat1
Rookie

Just a thought, And I am definitely not as qualified as anybody for that matter. Wouldn't your "mechanic" have disconnected the plug wires to install the headers? My question is are the wires routed correctly or even connected in the wrong order? Did you check that?

Old 01-29-2008, 11:38 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: kitchenrat1

Just a thought, And I am definitely not as qualified as anybody for that matter. Wouldn't your "mechanic" have disconnected the plug wires to install the headers? My question is are the wires routed correctly or even connected in the wrong order? Did you check that?
Thats something I was thinking might be the case, since the #1 and #2 are both at the front, he could have swapped one for another, but 20dodge said that it was fine when he left the shop, and got progressively worse.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:52 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup I'd check those plug wires out for sure. Sounds to me like you have 02 sensor issues and also a misfire problem. I'd also probably pull the plug in cyl 1 and check it out? Maybe throw a new one in there while you are at it as it shouldn't cost very much.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:06 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

That mechanic called me back, and he said the truck was throwing some codes. 132, 138, and 301. He says its not a job he is willing to do, and suggests I bring it to the dealer to have the computer flashed or something of that nature. He also says that the 02 sensor is reading some very high voltage numbers. Any ideas what those numbers mean to you guys?
What a joke

Sounds like this guy is a parts replacer not a technician.
Don't let this guy work on your truck anymore. It would be pure coincidence if he actually fixed it

Old 01-29-2008, 02:37 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Ok I just got the truck back. I shot a lot of pictures of the engine bay, and I shot several videos of the truck while driving. I cant put them up right now because I have class in 20 minutes, but I'll be home tonight around 8. I'll upload them asap so you guys can see what I am talking about, later!

Quick Reply: *Post Header Install/Symptoms* (Fresh Start)