2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

*Post Header Install/Symptoms* (Fresh Start)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:57 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Post Header Install/Symptoms* (Fresh Start)

sry to thread jack, but hometheaterman, when you put your lift on, did you use hats or new coils?

Old 01-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets just all chill until we hear back from 20DodgeNeon00 on what the status of his truck is after the dealership is done. He doesn't have to have them necessarily fix everything, just diagnose so he knows what is wrong for sure. Then he can choose to have them fix it, or do it himself. It sounds like he just doesn't have the time to go through all the diagnostic steps that have been posted on here, but I think all the stuff we have suggested is still valuble to him (and others) because he can check it against what the dealership tells him.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I notice from the video is, if your really got that thing on the floor, its not down shifting.

That tranny stayed in 2nd gear the entire time from what I saw. The cause of that usualy is a governer presure solidoid and sensor.
Happend to my friends durango r/t, which is a really hot truck... it stayed in 2nd and obviouslly had NO *****.

From your videos it seems to me like that engine is running fine... idle sounds good, and is idleing right where it is intended too. Im not saying that I dont think there is somthing wrong with it, but at least in those vids the engine seemed good and tranny seemed like it was what was holding you back.
If your tourqe converter is really bad it can make your truck want to go to 200rpm and sputter (because its not intended to idle that low) but as soon as you put it in neutral it should clear right up and go back to where it was supposed to idle.
I would like you to get a video of it just in neutral revving... like a few 1/4 throttle revs, 1/2 throttle revs, anf a few full throttle revs... all the way to redline. at the same time have someone stand behind the truck smelling the exhasut and looking for black smoke. If you get a little black smoke when you hit the redline, thats halfway normal so dont worry... I cant explain what your smelling for in the exhasut, but just try to smell for somthing not usual.

Its posable that when the header dude was welding on your truck he fried the pcm... ive herd of it happening. When the pcm fried on my dads ford f150 the truck constantly threw 02 sensor codes and wouldent run for ***.... 4 pcms later and it still does it sometimes... noone knows why... I do... its a junk ford. But thats beside the point.

I know you took it to the mechanic now, but thats just somthing to look for.

Sorry to say it, but I think this is one of the cases where you "get other peoples junk" in a used car buy... Its a damn nice truck, just has alot of quirks. It was probably beat to **** and never tooken care of.. did you ever get a carfax report on it? Some of the ones I looked at on the carfax had a bunch of maitnece records and what not... i dunno, you can just learn alot from that.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:10 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

No No guys, please do not get me wrong, your help is priceless! LOL literally too! I absolutely need your input. Since I am a new learner I can't afford to be dicked around by the ***got dealership. The only reason that truck is there right now is because 1.) they at least can get it back to a neutral position, and 2.) I need to know what they come up with. I have a pretty good idea now what is wrong with the truck from you guys now (rear sim, and possibly new front o2). But I really need this truck to be in a shop right now, it's been dead now for 5 straight days, I have to keep relying on my brothers to get me to work and school, it's not a cool scene. But I hope you guys arent feeling like your info is useless, I used it today talking with the mechanic. I told him everything we discussed. If we hadn't discussed this, I woudn't even know what to say to him.. And pc, I did check the spark plugs, and sadly, they are in the right positions. I printed out your diagram and went outside and checked them all out. I looked everywhere too, the headers dont appear to be near or rubbing any kinds of wires. Also, it's this really rich smelling condition that is making me believe it is o2 sensor related. A bad throttle or IAT sensor would not make a vehicle run rich right? I mean there is at times black smoke coming out of the truck. Of course when I took the truck back out with the mechanic, it ran like ****, but it was at least moving,this somewhat pissed me off. But he says that if it is 02 sensor related, he said it would make sense. He said since it is just started, it isn't dumping as much fuel in right now, but once its warm it starts to try and compensate more fuel as you give it more gas etc. Anyways, I am really wondering now if when the mechanic put the cat right off the headers in the first place if that screwed with the readings. And then when he moved it back after the y-pipe and spliced the wires if he ****ed **** up more or not. Anyway, you guys are very valuable too me, I wish this dodge forum was a mechanic shop right down the street, it'd be a dream. You guys could all teach me what your talking about it, itd be awesome. But instead I have to learn by myself, and try to understand it as good as I can through a screen. I sure as hell dont know any mechanics around here that would teach me, why would they do that? Any mechanic I do know wouldnt teach me because then they wouldnt get our families business lol. I'll keep you posted when they call me back, thanks all!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00
I sure as hell dont know any mechanics around here that would teach me, why would they do that? Any mechanic I do know wouldnt teach me because then they wouldnt get our families business lol. I'll keep you posted when they call me back, thanks all!
Really? I would stop going to them. My mechanic charges way less if youhelp him. I've learned alot from him too.Hell I still run up the street to borrow his tools from time to timefor which he has never charged me. He's happy to show someone how to do something on their own.

Of course it is a small town, so I guess that makes all the difference.

Hopefully they get your **** up and running and back on the road, without charing you an arm and a leg and your first born.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:27 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I know man, I just really want this to be a quick in and out, and not go back ever lol. Now I keep forgetting to ask, What is a "Rear Sim"? What does it do, and what does it different from a regular rear 02 sensor? Also, where would I get one from?

Old 01-30-2008, 01:08 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

A rear sim fakes the O2 reading so that the PCM thinks that your CAT is still in existince. If you don't have a cel light on for your cat being gone I wouldn't bother with the sim. The sim isn't anything magical it's just a 555 timer with a couple of resitors.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:10 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I see. Well the cat is still there, it's just gutted. But like you said, no cel lights have ever come on the truck.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:16 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

call the macanic that put the headers on and asked him what the f*** he did to your truck , this is all bulls*it. all this over a pair of headers, im starting to get pissed off an it isnt even my truck.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:19 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Exactly, so you can imagine how I feel. You try and just get a simple straight forward modification done to your truck, and I have dealt with nothing but bull**** this last 3 weeks. I brought it back to him, I thought this couldnt have been a better sign that the truck was ****ed up. If the dealer does not fix this issue, I am going in that shop with some true anger until my truck is running like it did before ****face put the headers on. Boy am I ripping about this all. Try and do something badass to the truck, and I finally get those damn headers, and then I have had nothing but a ****ty *** running truck, cool ****.

Quick Reply: *Post Header Install/Symptoms* (Fresh Start)