2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water in the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 03:07 AM
LUCKY_DOG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in the dash?

First post on the forum. I have a 98 Ram 1500 with the 5.9. It sounds as if there is water sloshing around behind the dash. So for I have not been able to find anything. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Keith

Old 01-31-2008, 03:09 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Water in the dash?

If I recall my previous readings, that means there is air in the coolant system. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

Do a search using the "Search" link above and you will find more than a few threads discussing it and how to fix it.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:19 AM
Zeppelinrocks
Veteran

yeah its air in the system, just park on a small uphill take off the radiator cap and let it run til it warms up to normal temps and the air should start coming out. If it dosnt just squeze the top radiator hose and air would come out.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:51 AM
mr freeze
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for air in the system.Mine did it back during the summer and I thought it was the condensate line clogged from the A/C so I hit it with co2 but it was clear.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:20 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bet your heater core has pinholes in it.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:02 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: VWandDodge

i bet your wrong.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

ORIGINAL: VWandDodge

i bet your wrong.
Pardon me for speaking from experience. Never and signs of dripping under the truck, never any smell of coolant, and *ALWAYS* sounded like a waterfall behind the dash.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:54 AM
kowboydmac
All Star

I have that slosh sound but i smell all kinds of smells inside my truck, lol. Girls always smell gas, but guys smell a leathery smell. I smell coolant. Then there's that liquidy gunk on the lower portion of my windshield along with water droplets built up under my floormats, especially on the passenger side. combine that with coolant level erratically falling and raising, i'm pretty sure my heater core is ready for a swap. I also have a water pump on hand so when I do the plenum/tune up i'll go ahead and change the pump/thermo and maybe the timing chain or roller rockers, whatever i choose to spend my 500 or so alloted for truck tricks at the time. Also want to get a sound system going, but that's another topic.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:26 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lucky_Dog: Always do the least expensive thing first. The least you can do is put your truck up on ramps and start it up! If the sound goes away, you nailed it; if it does notit may be your heater or evap core and that will cost you up to 700 to have done. Canyou turn a wrench? Do it yourself.

Welcome to the sight. All the information you need is right here.

I took an old waterbed frame rails and made some killer ramps with my chop saw. A few deck screws, some liquid nail badda bing badda boom. Not too tall, like themetal ones I got rid of.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:39 PM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: 1BigRamaniac

Lucky_Dog: Always do the least expensive thing first. The least you can do is put your truck up on ramps and start it up! If the sound goes away, you nailed it; if it does notit may be your heater or evap core and that will cost you up to 700 to have done. Canyou turn a wrench? Do it yourself.

Welcome to the sight. All the information you need is right here.

I took an old waterbed frame rails and made some killer ramps with my chop saw. A few deck screws, some liquid nail badda bing badda boom. Not too tall, like themetal ones I got rid of.
I would like that add that a lot of swearing is involved in replacing the heater core. If you can cuss like a sailor, you're gold.

Quick Reply: Water in the dash?