2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine
Print Wikipost

Kegger Intake Mod DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kegger Intake Mod DIY

You might want to take out the black lining on the underside of your hood if you go through alot of deep water. I've heard of it getting soaked falling down ontop of the engine and the exhaust manifold and catching fire.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:17 PM
TheForce55555
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea i had that Lining catch fire on a Ford f-150, the battery shorted out on the fender and caught the damn hood on fire, Luckily i was able to put it out with a bottle of water

Old 02-07-2008, 04:21 PM
mr freeze
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

not only is it another possible way to do it, its the proper way. hope that tech certification means something in the end.
It means he can adjust his valves without setting his truck on fire

Lol.Damn,I think that was better then my joke.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:31 PM
zddp8868
Professional

doing what you have done to the intake is OKAY, but the intake is not where the weakest airflow link is.

HINT: its allin the heads!

i think your observations werethe direct result of theplacebo effect. if you had a vacuum leak to begin with, you cant compare the truck before to the truck now. what you did to the intake was enlarge the openings of the runners which creates a lower velocity of the incoming air. while the effect is not as dramatic, what you are doing is essentially starting to convert a dual plane style intake into a single plane type.

had it been my engine, i would have left the intake alone and paid attention to the cylinder heads. the stock intake manifold flows plenty of cfm to supportthe vast majority ofstreet applications

Old 02-07-2008, 07:02 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: zddp8868

doing what you have done to the intake is OKAY, but the intake is not where the weakest airflow link is.

i think your observations werethe direct result of theplacebo effect. if you had a vacuum leak to begin with, you cant compare the truck before to the truck now. what you did to the intake was enlarge the openings of the runners which creates a lower velocity of the incoming air. while the effect is not as dramatic, what you are doing is essentially starting to convert a dual plane style intake into a single plane type.

had it been my engine, i would have left the intake alone and paid attention to the cylinder heads. the stock intake manifold flows plenty of cfm to supportthe vast majority ofstreet applications
That is good advice about the heads, and I might add that a cam would open it up more than this mod also.

BUT: this is a free mod!

A person can easily spend $1200 on heads and although they would make better power than cutting the runners, thats a good chunk of money. We both acknowledged that we weren't sure how much we got from the cut due to replacing the plenum and gasket. I feel like it made a difference and with the price just being labor (& little frustration) it was worth it for me to do.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain

Yes, heads are an area for improvment...

A co worker of mine is a professional engine builder, he knows these engines very well...
He ports heads, builds engines, ect ect ect...

He said that the runners are too long in these intake manifolds himself... he told me exactly why and gave me all of the little details in engine building talk... I dont remember it now...

Also, the way that silver cut his runners was indeed the "proper" way... weather it was the "proper" amount or not im not sure of...

I talked to this dude about this very thing yesterday becasue I plan on doing it soon... he explained that the way/angle that silver vut his runners promotes the best flow for these engines... he has tested over 20 veriations of identical intake manifolds on his flow bench...

The following users liked this post:
Laughac (06-05-2021)
Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Sirhilton17

A co worker of mine is a professional engine builder, he knows these engines very well...

He said that the runners are too long in these intake manifolds himself... he told me exactly why and gave me all of the little details in engine building talk... I dont remember it now...

Also, the way that silver cut his runners was indeed the "proper" way... weather it was the "proper" amount or not im not sure of...

I talked to this dude about this very thing yesterday becasue I plan on doing it soon... he explained that the way/angle that silver vut his runners promotes the best flow for these engines... he has tested over 20 veriations of identical intake manifolds on his flow bench...
If you get a chance could you ask him to explain why that cut is the way to go. And maybe what angle/depth he found to work the best. Oh AND where it effects the powerband. I've been looking for a little more input on runner cutting. thanx

Old 02-07-2008, 07:23 PM
zddp8868
Professional

ORIGINAL: xskylinedx

ORIGINAL: zddp8868

That is good advice about the heads, and I might add that a cam would open it up more than this mod also.

BUT: this is a free mod!

A person can easily spend $1200 on heads and although they would make better power than cutting the runners, thats a good chunk of money. We both acknowledged that we weren't sure how much we got from the cut due to replacing the plenum and gasket. I feel like it made a difference and with the price just being labor (& little frustration) it was worth it for me to do.
1200 bucks on heads is either full out race porting with bigger valves etc, or just a rip off..

go to the machine shop and ask for a bowl blend, a valve job, and have them port match the heads to your intake. that should be around 400-500 bucks. THAT is how you make horsepower.

andwhen you decide to throw a cam in it later, you wont be disappointed.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:27 PM
zddp8868
Professional

ORIGINAL: xskylinedx

ORIGINAL: Sirhilton17

If you get a chance could you ask him to explain why that cut is the way to go. And maybe what angle/depth he found to work the best. Oh AND where it effects the powerband. I've been looking for a little more input on runner cutting. thanx
cutting the intake manifold like this, while it is free, you're only talking about a handful of peak hp/tq. you will not feel this in your seat. to me, its a waste of time.

if you are so dremel happy, take off your heads and blend the bowls. much more power for just as much if not less, cutting time.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:45 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

I'm not going to say that heads arn't a better improvement because they are. You have good ideas but I am not about to spend five to six hundred bucks on factory heads that are prone to cracking. KRC 1.92 heads $1500, Mopar R/T bare heads $900 pair, Edlebrock heads $1400. Since my intake was off those handful of ponies were worth it to me. Although I wouldn't be completely upset if my heads cracked when I have the money to replace them

Quick Reply: Kegger Intake Mod DIY