2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clean your throttle body!

Old 02-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Clean your throttle body!

Well, I finally got the nerve to do it. Chilton had nothing helpful and everything I found in searches just said "remove TB and clean." So I figured it can't be that bad. And truthfully, it isn't. But it looks daunting. So for those who need an encouraging word, here goes:

Tools:
-1/2 inch socket or wrench
-flat screwdriver
-small torx head screwdriver
-new TB gasket ($4)
-TB/carb cleaner
-rags
-pliers
-tin of cope

1. Remove air cleaner with a flat head screwdriver (man, I'm getting sick of that stock box)
2. Remove the front sensor clip. There's a little tab on top of the clip that is flush but you push it down and pull and it just unhooks.
3. Remove the side sensor clip. Same as above.
4. Reach around the tb and unclip the IAC sensor by pushing out on the tab and pulling. It's different than the other two.
5. Remove the small vacuum tube from the front of the tb by just pulling it out.

Now you're down to the throttle cables. I had no prior idea how they came off but just studied them for awhile and figured it out.

There's two cables, the one on the passenger side goes first.
6. Unclip the cable end (small plastic c-shaped clip) by pulling the throttle linkage forward for slack and pushing the cable clip backwards. It's very similar to a tiny version of a cell phone belt clip holster.
7. Unclip the other cable in the same manner.

At this point, you're ready to unbolt the tb. You'll need a ratchet and 1/2 inch or equivalent metric. I used 1/2 inch. They were on tight so time for elbow grease.

8.Loosen all four bolts and remove. I laid them out in the same pattern so they went in the same holes later.

Now CAREFULLY lift off the TB and move it slightly towards you so you can access the throttle cables retention clips on the black bracket. I set the assembly gently on the fan shroud while I stuffed a clean rag into the plenum.

9. Each throttle retention clip is unique. For the outside one you'll need a pen to push in the retainer dimple and pull up. The inner one needs pliers to sqeeze the top and bottom and pull out.

Now it's time to clean. You'll need throttle body/carb cleaner, rags, toothbrush or similar, q-tips, and a torx (star shape) head screwdriver. I had one in my small Craftsman case. Most tool kits should have them.

10. Remove all three sensors using the torx driver carefully. When you remove the IAC you'll see why this was a good idea. Mine was completely black and gunked up. The TB bore was all black too. I spent atleast an hour cleaning all the crevices and nooks of the TB and then the IAC. CAUTION!!!!!! Be VERY gentle with the IAC as it is over $100 to replace. Use the q-tips to gently rub the crap off and it will look like brass again. I never sprayed cleaner into it or moved the plunger at all.

Once you're satisfied with the cleaning, just re-install everything using a new gasket. I don't have a torque wrench so I just criss-cross tightened them good and tight. Now, was that so bad?

Old 02-24-2008, 03:30 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Clean your throttle body!

Map , TPS , Iac use # t25 torx screw driver
1/2 = 13 mm
instead trying to take the cables of the bracket , take the bracket of the TB 3 bolts ,
IAC 100 buxs ?? dealer item , other part stores sells em at 58 bux , gotta be careful how much you tighten down on the bolts ..
You do know there is a DIY TO THIS ??
when you had the TB off did you look down into the KEG to see if there was any oil pooling ?? (need a flashlight and a mirror)
and when you had the MAP , IAC , TPS unplug did you clean the connectors with CRC Lectra-Motive Electric Parts Cleaner and put some Di-Electric Grease ?? every time i pull a connector apart it gets clean up ..detail
other then that good job !!!

Old 02-24-2008, 06:46 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

nice job.
now your ready for bigger and badder things.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:56 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just shot mine out with carb cleaner. Was I supposed to take it off?

Old 02-24-2008, 07:57 PM
DodgeFan01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ramman, thanks a lot dude for this write up!! I was just thinking I need to clean my throttle sometime. Just gotta wait for mother nature to give me a non-rainy day

Old 02-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Gene563
Rookie

I recently cleaned mine as well and I did as PA said. I removed the 3 screws and took the cable bracket off the TB. The IAC on mine was black and crusty. I sprayed the crap out of it. Something I discovered, the sleeve on the plunger shaft will slide in( spring loaded ). I spayed and moved this around until moved freely. shook out the cleaner and hit it with WD40 before reinstalling it. The TPS I cleaned with contact cleaner. Someone had a write-up here about drilling a hole in it, cleaning it then covering the hole with electrical tape.
It runs great ever since and cured my stalling problem.
I also installed a round, Edelbrock, 10 inchair cleaner. My thread, Thanks and a round AC, has pictures of it.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:04 AM
WD OPN Throttle
Rookie

How easy was it to start after that Rammaniac?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1BigRamaniac

I just shot mine out with carb cleaner. Was I supposed to take it off?
Yes, that is the preferred way to clean it so you don't wash all the gunk off it down into the intake.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Wouldnt using WD40 on the TB be a bad idea, concidering is flammable?

Old 02-28-2008, 11:01 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

Cleaning the throttle body is a nice "first step" for someone with limited mechanical experience. It really helps improve your knowledge and improve your understanding of what us other gear heads are talking about.

Something else I would recommend is to ALWAYS install a new throttle body gasket whenever you remove the TB (less than $1 at NAPA - I buy them a half dozen at a time), and use di-electric grease on all of the electrical connections like padodgeram mentions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clean your throttle body!