2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drainplug Q

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:38 PM
kowboydmac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drainplug Q

Ya know, I haven't changed the oil in my truck, but all I have to do is unscrew the drain plug under the pan, correct? Noobish, I know, but just had a brain fart about how to go about changing the oil.

Now, can you install the same type of plug for the tranny, that is just as functional?

Old 03-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Drainplug Q

Yeah, pop the hood and pull the dipstick out, then take off the oil fill cap. This just lets air in from the top for better flow. Then go ahead and take out the drain plug. Yes, you can install one on the tranny as well...either buy a drain plug kit and drill a hole, or drill a hole and have a nut welded to thr inside of the pan. The you just get a rubber washer to go under the bolt head from the bottom.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:52 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

You should also unscrew the oil filter and put a new one on. Make sure the old gasket came off with the old filter as if it didn't and you leave it on and put the new oil filter on so it will have 2 gaskets it will cause a leak. Just make sure the old gasket comes off and slightly lube the new gasket up with some oil and tighten it. Make sure you tighten the drain plug back up then just add oil. I add 4 quarts then fire it up and let it run for a second to fill the filter up then check it and add as needed. I usually end up adding 4.5-5 quarts in my truck.

As said above you can install a drain plug in your tranny pan also.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:01 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

all you need is a 5/8 wrench , and a oil filter wrench if you cant get it off by hand , like heater said about the seal on the oil filter , make sure you only hand tighten the oil filter dont need to be wrench on...I also put some oil in the filter so less of a dry start...

Old 03-02-2008, 01:49 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: padodgeram
make sure you only hand tighten the oil filter dont need to be wrench on...
I was going to throw that in there too but didn't want him to not tighten it tight enough since and leave it loose since I told him not to do it with a wrench. Yeah I'd hand tighten it but I tighten them down as tight as I can get them with my hands just not putting a wrench on there.

Idk what size the oil drain plug is. I use metric wrenches and they fit perfect but I can't remember off the top of my head what size it is.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:05 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

15 mm ???

Old 03-02-2008, 06:54 PM
kowboydmac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, thanks for freshening me up. I wouldnt have thought of the oil fill cap. I think it might be worth doing to the tranny, because I don't have much patience for cleaning up oil/petroleum based spills, lol. But there is no way to add one stock I see. So is my best bet to get someone to weld the nut and drill a hole, or are those drain plug kits trustworthy?

Old 03-02-2008, 07:28 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My piggyback plug on the Tranny pan has been fine. The original 0 ring they put in the inner plug was crap, just mashed down as I tightened it and leaked, so I just screwed the drain plug in until about 3/16" was left showing and ran RTV around the threads. Tightened her in and done.

No leaks.

Quick Reply: Drainplug Q