2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CAMSHAFT SENSOR LOCATION????????

Old 03-11-2008, 05:56 PM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CAMSHAFT SENSOR LOCATION????????

HEY YALL WHERE CAN I FIND THE CAMSHAFT SENSOR ON MY 98 RAM 1500 4X4 5.9L? SOMEONE SUGGESTED THAT I CHANGE THIS IN ORDER TO CORRECT MY MISFIRE AT CYLINDER #5. I KNOW WHERE THE CRANKSHAFT SENSOR IS ON THE BACK OF THE MOTOR BUT I'M STUMPED ON THE CAMSHAFT. ALSO WHERE CAN I BUY ONE? THANKS!

Old 03-11-2008, 06:01 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CAMSHAFT SENSOR LOCATION????????

TURN YOUR CAPS OFFFFFFFFFF

Old 03-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The camshaft position sensor is located in the distributor

Old 03-11-2008, 08:43 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

Ask for a sync sensor or distributer pick up if the parts guy doesn't know what your talkin about.
I doubt thats your problem though.
What have you replaced / checked to narrow this down?

Old 03-12-2008, 07:47 AM
mcss8541
All Star

everything you could imagine(spk plugs,wires, cap, rotor, injector, compression is dead on, replaced intake gaskets upper and lower pan, o2 sensors (both), tps,...I'm stumped because it's only affecting cylinder #5. A mechanic said it might be the pulse ring because there's a spot on it that tells each injector when to fire????????? and if it's that then I have to replace the entire distributor. I know the injectors are firing because i put the pulse light on them and they're firing like they're supposed to. Today the CEL is off but it'll come back on when that "MISS" reappears. And the engine will stall for about 5-10 seconds during warm up with the engine bringing in more air then it'll level out and it's over, but this happens only during warm up but the misfire can occur when I start the engine again.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:27 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

Sounds like you did your homework.
The sync sensor doesn't actually tell the PCM when to fire your injectors, It tells the PCM if the engine is on compression or exhaust stroke.
Look at the picture above. The reluctor is 1/2 the size 180 degrees. If it signaled each injector it would have 8 sections.

Good move checking the injector pulse signal. Did you actually replace the injector?

So your problem only happens during idle during warm up? and sometimes it runs really rough and stalls?

Does it make a loud sucking sound when it runs rough? If you rev up the engine slightly does it smooth out.

It almost sounds like a bad IAC motor not letting in enough air at idle.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:29 AM
mcss8541
All Star

Yes we replaced the injector and the problem persisted. i replaced the IAC valve about 6 months ago when this was going on and they cleaned my TB and the little hole in the back where the IAC is located, with BG; another mechanic suggested that I rempove the IAC and clean 2 little holes that is located inside the area where it goes??????????? And to answer your question yes the stalling only happens during warm-up and then the engine starts to adjust by sucking more air, when that occurrs the idle goes up again and then it tries to idle down again and on the 2nd attempt it's able to. The engine has never died, though, when this is happening. As far as the cylinder #5 misfire CEL this occurs anytime. Like now the light has been off for a few days but out of the blue after i start the engine it will have a miss as though someone took the spk plug wire off just that cyclinder.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:27 AM
scouty

Originally Posted by mcss8541
Yes we replaced the injector and the problem persisted. i replaced the IAC valve about 6 months ago when this was going on and they cleaned my TB and the little hole in the back where the IAC is located, with BG; another mechanic suggested that I rempove the IAC and clean 2 little holes that is located inside the area where it goes??????????? And to answer your question yes the stalling only happens during warm-up and then the engine starts to adjust by sucking more air, when that occurrs the idle goes up again and then it tries to idle down again and on the 2nd attempt it's able to. The engine has never died, though, when this is happening. As far as the cylinder #5 misfire CEL this occurs anytime. Like now the light has been off for a few days but out of the blue after i start the engine it will have a miss as though someone took the spk plug wire off just that cyclinder.
So did you fix your problem??? If so, what fixed it?? Anybody

Old 08-10-2015, 12:35 AM
bigig88
Default dead #5

had the same issue with my sister,dead on #5. Was a burnt exhaust valve.Got that fixed except cant get rid of the P0505 code.clear it,run it,no light and stays off until you turn the key off and start it again and light is back on.Its frustrating to say the least.Any suggestions?

Old 08-10-2015, 10:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

That's an iac circuit code, is it not? Does the computer actually control idle speed? Has the IAC ever been replaced? If so, what brand?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CAMSHAFT SENSOR LOCATION????????