Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CAMSHAFT SENSOR LOCATION????????

Old 03-11-2008, 05:56 PM
All Star
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 98 RAM 1500 4X4
Default CAMSHAFT SENSOR LOCATION????????

HEY YALL WHERE CAN I FIND THE CAMSHAFT SENSOR ON MY 98 RAM 1500 4X4 5.9L? SOMEONE SUGGESTED THAT I CHANGE THIS IN ORDER TO CORRECT MY MISFIRE AT CYLINDER #5. I KNOW WHERE THE CRANKSHAFT SENSOR IS ON THE BACK OF THE MOTOR BUT I'M STUMPED ON THE CAMSHAFT. ALSO WHERE CAN I BUY ONE? THANKS!
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
98 DODGE RAM 1500 SPORT 4X4 5.9L 6" LFT W/3" BODY LFT; PRO COMP WHEELS 8089 AND 35X12.5R17 DUNLOP RADIAL MUD ROVERS; CUSTOM FRONT BUMPER, Flex-a-lite dual electric fans , MOPAR rnd K&N 14X3"aircleaner;headers, Flowmaster Super 40
Old 03-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Record Breaker
1995 Dodge Ram 2500

Default RE: CAMSHAFT SENSOR LOCATION????????

TURN YOUR CAPS OFFFFFFFFFF

1995 2500 360 4x4. MSD 6al + Blaster 2, Pacesetter Long Tubes, Flow 40, Fastman 52 MM Tb, 8mm Wires, E Fans, Mopar Performance M1, K&N 14x4 Open Element Cleaner, Total Herculine In and Out. Chrysler Technician
Old 03-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Champion
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.3

The camshaft position sensor is located in the distributor

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Record Breaker
1997 Dodge Ram 1500

Ask for a sync sensor or distributer pick up if the parts guy doesn't know what your talkin about.
I doubt thats your problem though.
What have you replaced / checked to narrow this down?
97 Ram Sport ext 4x4, 5.9L gas, 3" pro comp lift w dual shocks, 3:55 trac lock
Lt305/70R16 Kumho KL-78, K&N FIPK, Mopar Performance wires and cap, Stainless shorty headers, Walker exhaust. All syn lubes. Sirius sat radio! Magellan GPS
2003 Grand Caravan Sport. 3.3L No toys in it. Nobody's cool in a Minivan...
Old 03-12-2008, 07:47 AM
All Star
Garage is empty, add now

everything you could imagine(spk plugs,wires, cap, rotor, injector, compression is dead on, replaced intake gaskets upper and lower pan, o2 sensors (both), tps,...I'm stumped because it's only affecting cylinder #5. A mechanic said it might be the pulse ring because there's a spot on it that tells each injector when to fire????????? and if it's that then I have to replace the entire distributor. I know the injectors are firing because i put the pulse light on them and they're firing like they're supposed to. Today the CEL is off but it'll come back on when that "MISS" reappears. And the engine will stall for about 5-10 seconds during warm up with the engine bringing in more air then it'll level out and it's over, but this happens only during warm up but the misfire can occur when I start the engine again.
98 DODGE RAM 1500 SPORT 4X4 5.9L 6" LFT W/3" BODY LFT; PRO COMP WHEELS 8089 AND 35X12.5R17 DUNLOP RADIAL MUD ROVERS; CUSTOM FRONT BUMPER, Flex-a-lite dual electric fans , MOPAR rnd K&N 14X3"aircleaner;headers, Flowmaster Super 40
Old 03-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Record Breaker
1997 Dodge Ram 1500

Sounds like you did your homework.
The sync sensor doesn't actually tell the PCM when to fire your injectors, It tells the PCM if the engine is on compression or exhaust stroke.
Look at the picture above. The reluctor is 1/2 the size 180 degrees. If it signaled each injector it would have 8 sections.

Good move checking the injector pulse signal. Did you actually replace the injector?

So your problem only happens during idle during warm up? and sometimes it runs really rough and stalls?

Does it make a loud sucking sound when it runs rough? If you rev up the engine slightly does it smooth out.

It almost sounds like a bad IAC motor not letting in enough air at idle.
97 Ram Sport ext 4x4, 5.9L gas, 3" pro comp lift w dual shocks, 3:55 trac lock
Lt305/70R16 Kumho KL-78, K&N FIPK, Mopar Performance wires and cap, Stainless shorty headers, Walker exhaust. All syn lubes. Sirius sat radio! Magellan GPS
2003 Grand Caravan Sport. 3.3L No toys in it. Nobody's cool in a Minivan...
Old 03-13-2008, 10:29 AM
All Star
Garage is empty, add now

Yes we replaced the injector and the problem persisted. i replaced the IAC valve about 6 months ago when this was going on and they cleaned my TB and the little hole in the back where the IAC is located, with BG; another mechanic suggested that I rempove the IAC and clean 2 little holes that is located inside the area where it goes??????????? And to answer your question yes the stalling only happens during warm-up and then the engine starts to adjust by sucking more air, when that occurrs the idle goes up again and then it tries to idle down again and on the 2nd attempt it's able to. The engine has never died, though, when this is happening. As far as the cylinder #5 misfire CEL this occurs anytime. Like now the light has been off for a few days but out of the blue after i start the engine it will have a miss as though someone took the spk plug wire off just that cyclinder.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:27 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 98 durango 5.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcss8541 View Post
Yes we replaced the injector and the problem persisted. i replaced the IAC valve about 6 months ago when this was going on and they cleaned my TB and the little hole in the back where the IAC is located, with BG; another mechanic suggested that I rempove the IAC and clean 2 little holes that is located inside the area where it goes??????????? And to answer your question yes the stalling only happens during warm-up and then the engine starts to adjust by sucking more air, when that occurrs the idle goes up again and then it tries to idle down again and on the 2nd attempt it's able to. The engine has never died, though, when this is happening. As far as the cylinder #5 misfire CEL this occurs anytime. Like now the light has been off for a few days but out of the blue after i start the engine it will have a miss as though someone took the spk plug wire off just that cyclinder.
So did you fix your problem??? If so, what fixed it?? Anybody
Old 03-01-2009, 02:27 AM

Tags
1993, 2003, 98, camshaft, crank, crankshaft, dodge, location, picture, position, problems, ram, sensor, stratus, van, viper