Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cheap way to make my truck faster!

Old 04-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Captain

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge 1500 4x4 and 2000 Dodge 1500 4x2
Default RE: Cheap way to make my truck faster!

if you have a deisel pushing 580 hp, and its not a semi, i want to see that truck. I think you mean torque. Either way, i garuntee that diesel wont go in the woodsas good as yours.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Vehicle: 2005 Ram CTD 4x4, 2000 audi TTQ

to the OP... crank sensor mod (free), 180 deg t-stat ($10 bux), open element air filter (search FIPK no more to find the thread, not sure on the cost). these will get you going cheep... autolite 3923 plugs, msd superconductor wires are a couple more tricks...
Old 04-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Veteran

....sigh....I...I just.....I just don't have the energy to respond to this....WAIT A MINUTE!!!!

How old are you?

Write your **** and vinegar factor here_______. Here is a handy chart:
PAV FACTOR
16-19 90%
20-23 80%
24-26 70%
27-30 60%
etc.
Married= -15% Kids=-10% each Men suffer a 1% PAV loss for each year married. Hopefully by 40 you have no PAV factor. You will then know what a truck is for. If you are in your 50's and just bought a red sports car-you are not fooling anybody. You arefaking your PAV.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:41 PM

Vehicle: Ram 2500

ha ha yasorry
Old 04-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Professional

Lets see here my PAV base line is at 60%. I've been married 10 years. So that brings me down to 35%. Then you add three kids into the mix and I'm now down to 5%.

My truck is so neglected.[sm=alcoholic.gif]

1998 Ram Sport 1500,
5.9, 4X4, Auto Trans
Old 04-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Veteran

The lower the PAV factor the better!
Old 04-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Professional

hey dont forget the 1.21 giggawatts. call doc he could help ya out with that LOL no offence man but a 2500 isent built for speed and as far as not keeping up with your friends powerless stroker lean into the gas a little or follow the basics like above stated.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:07 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4
Default 1997 dodge dakota

Alright lol i think that everyone has gotten off topic.With my 97 Dodge Dakota heres what I think are the cheapest and easiest was to help make your truck faster:

Cold Air Intake- go K and N
Throttle Body Spacer
Get performance headers (not the cheapest but necessary)
Get a chip the more high dollar tuners dont make much more of a difference so just get a cheap jet stage 2.
Electric fan and water pump - takes some drag off the motor and really improves engine life but you may need a better battery and alternator.
180 degree thermostat
Set of underdrive pulleys but dont go too cheap
Better mass air flow sensor
get superconductor plug wires no smaller than 8.0
a new ignition system - ive had luck with mallory hyfire
iridium spark plugs
and lastly use high octane

This is what I did with my truck with 1600 dollars and a year. I got to 410 hp on the dyno and managed 22 mpg after a 3 inch lift. But be careful because after this while doing a burnout I ripped pretty much the whole rear end to pieces. But now shes just fine. Good luck and have fun.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:22 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyRoss View Post
Alright lol i think that everyone has gotten off topic.With my 97 Dodge Dakota heres what I think are the cheapest and easiest was to help make your truck faster:

Throttle Body Spacer
Get a chip the more high dollar tuners dont make much more of a difference so just get a cheap jet stage 2.
Electric fan and water pump - takes some drag off the motor and really improves engine life but you may need a better battery and alternator.
180 degree thermostat
iridium spark plugs

This is what I did with my truck with 1600 dollars and a year. I got to 410 hp on the dyno and managed 22 mpg after a 3 inch lift. But be careful because after this while doing a burnout I ripped pretty much the whole rear end to pieces. But now shes just fine. Good luck and have fun.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:25 AM
Record Breaker

Vehicle: 97 Ram 1500 Sport
Send a message via AIM to RamSport97 Send a message via Yahoo to RamSport97

Quote:

Throttle Body Spacer
180 degree thermostat
iridium spark plugs

Way to bring back a 2 year old post. I can't tell if you are being serious or not, but I found this post hilarious. First, the throttle body spacer, come on man, its junk, go put it in the back seat of your civic. Second, the Jet Stage 2 crud, also junk, your computer will re learn it, and the high dollar ones are the way to go, specifically, SuperChips, SCT, Hypertech. And Third, 410 hp out of a basically stock Ram? No, not gonna happen.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:50 AM
Legend

Vehicle: 2005 Silverado LT 4x4 Crew Cab 5.3
@nate_kent

I was gonna say press the pedal harder...But when you are towing with that 3/4 ton truck you should really stay under 65 mph.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Champion

Vehicle: 2001 1500 4x4 off road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeper View Post
how can i make my 1999 5.9 v8 ram 2500 faster? but not spend a **** load of money?
not possible with our trucks. So when you see a dodge challenger revving his engine. Just sink in your seat and hope he doesn't see you. Unless you want to get beat so bad that you would need counseling for severe depression.

1. You own a truck, it will never be fast
2. The supply of manufacturers of aftermarket parts is very small. So that means less competition. That means Higher prices for us.

Example: F-1 airgap intake. Hughes is the only one that sells an aftermarket intake for our MPFI setup. it costs 599
Old 05-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Grand Champion

dfdgfdvgfvf

410 hp lol , you must have forgotten to put down your supercharger

durango 117k 5.9 has fi airgap,1.7hs,52mmfastman,14x3 and sct tuned!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastrights View Post
410 hp lol , you must have forgotten to put down your supercharger
Nah, he just misplaced a decimal point.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:50 AM

Apparently no one has spent as much time with their truck then I have. Seriously you are wondering how I got an extra 190 hp out of a 318? Ok I will tell you why I said what I did. Now true TBS put in a stock truck dont do ****. But after all the other mods they make a lot of difference. And I had a guy do a professional tuning on my truck bc i didnt have the money to buy one myself and it was a 2hp difference from the jet. Thats why i say dont spend the money and get a cheap one. Also you wouldnt believe how much you can get out of your truck with increased air flow and less drag the headers themselves tho are what makes the most difference after you get that freed up and true duels out the amount of power you gain is crazy. Now please dont tell me idk what im talking about my truck is all I do, I know everything about it thats where i spend all my time. If you have any other questions just ask.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:52 AM

Oh and why i replied to a 2 yr old post, pretty much i was looking for something new to do and came across this and no one really gave the guy much of an answer.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Record Breaker

Vehicle: 97 Ram 1500 Sport
Send a message via AIM to RamSport97 Send a message via Yahoo to RamSport97

A Throttle Body Spacer will never make a difference no matter what you do because our trucks are Port Injected, not Throttle Body Injected like some of the late model Chevy trucks, that would benefit from a TBS. I, as well as others, would love to see the printout of your Dyno run.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500

Quote:
Apparently no one has spent as much time with their truck then I have. Seriously you are wondering how I got an extra 190 hp out of a 318? Ok I will tell you why I said what I did. Now true TBS put in a stock truck dont do ****. But after all the other mods they make a lot of difference. And I had a guy do a professional tuning on my truck bc i didnt have the money to buy one myself and it was a 2hp difference from the jet. Thats why i say dont spend the money and get a cheap one. Also you wouldnt believe how much you can get out of your truck with increased air flow and less drag the headers themselves tho are what makes the most difference after you get that freed up and true duels out the amount of power you gain is crazy. Now please dont tell me idk what im talking about my truck is all I do, I know everything about it thats where i spend all my time. If you have any other questions just ask.
I'm sorry. I just have a VERY hard time believing you got 190 more ponies out of a 318 without doing any internal mods. Stock heads/cam/rotating assembly/intake manifold? Unless one of your external mods was a blower, I am not going to buy into it. Post the dyno sheet. Even then, I will remain skeptical.

Even a custom tune along with it is not going to get you those kinds of gains.

And the Throttle body spacer does absolutely nothing. Any "gains" you saw from that, on the dyno or off, are only variations that are normal between runs. You increase the plenum volume by a few cubic inches. (very few) It does nothing to improve air flow, or provide better atomization of the fuel.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Record Breaker

Vehicle: 11 1500 Bighorn QC 4x4 & what started out as 96 Indy :)

410hp crank from a genII Magnum 318 is impossible without internal modifications or some form of boost.
Jet stgII is a POS, I still have the one I installed in 98. ETs were slower on the 1/4m with it than stock pcm. MP PCM gave about 3tenths better ets than what it ran with the JET POS.
TB Spacer, do not work on multi port. Paper weights
Mass air flow sensor? No such thing on a Dodge Ram or Dak genII. We have speed density system not mass air.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Legend

Vehicle: 2005 Silverado LT 4x4 Crew Cab 5.3
@nate_kent

Quote:
We have speed density system not mass air.
Maybe thats the way he got an extra 190 horsepower out of a 318 without internal mods? I know 190 hp is way out of the ballpark, but maybe 50-100 HP could be added by the conversion. Plus better gas mileage and overall performance.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:09 PM

Tags
10, 1995, cheapest, cherokee, cummins, dodge, faster, gain, grand, make, power, ram, srt, thermostat, truck