2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aaahh crap

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:36 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aaahh crap

Just found out there is oil leaking from the timing cover, crankcase is leaking, need new u-joints (no biggy) and new brakes.......[X(]. Anybody else had these leak problems, if so--DIY or did you take it to a shop? 3,000 miles later andthey arebad enough leaks to where it will put me below the "safe" line on the dipstick.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:05 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aaahh crap

ORIGINAL: jnellydodge

Just found out there is oil leaking from the timing cover, crankcase is leaking, need new u-joints (no biggy) and new brakes.......[X(]. Anybody else had these leak problems, if so--DIY or did you take it to a shop? 3,000 miles later andthey arebad enough leaks to where it will put me below the "safe" line on the dipstick.
Crankcase is an easy fix as the oil pan can usually be dropped without moving the engine. Timing cover will require a little more effort but it is only a one day job. I would recommend buying a Fel-pro compelte engine rebuild kit and replace everything except the head gaskets. It can be accomplished in one weekend with moderate mechanic skills. Pull the intake and replace the intake gaskets and plenum gasket (better yet replace the plenum also with an aftermarket one from Hughes or APS), new thermosta and thermostat gasket, new waterpump gaskets (this gives you the best chance to also replace all of your coolant hoses, even that little POS between the pum and engine that always goes out at the wrong time), timing cover gaskets and front seal (you can check your timing chain gears for wear and replace them at this time also with a new double roller timing chain), new valve cover gaskets (only because they are in the kit), and the oil pan.

Doing all of this should prevent any oil or anti-freeze leaks for more than a couple years and you'll have done some good quality preventive maintenance.

Brakes I also always handle myself, but I've done u-joints in the past with hammer and anvil. No thanks, I let the shop do them. If you do them yourself, replace any seals that you can at the same time since you already have the pieces apart.

Good luck and have fun.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:09 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on above. i did all that, including tune up, sensors, all hoses, oil pump, rear seal, etc. it was about $600 in parts, but should be good for another 100k miles. you can do it. allow several days and arrange for a nice place to work. in the mean time, just keep it full of oil and don't worry about it.

https://dodgeforum.com/m_735291/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Old 04-22-2008, 08:25 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker

(Bringing it back from the dead)

First off thanks u guys for the information.
Welll.....Ihave been toying theidea aroundabout trading for a 3rd gen 4 door ram,but with gas prices being ridiculous[:@]and not having a truck payment and not wanting a truck payment i've decidedits best tokeep the 98' and get a car later on. So in the near future i'm going to start ordering the parts that i will need to tackle this. Probably won't start on it until i buy another vehicle (car) this fall, but this way i have plenty of time to prepare. Also, with a 2nd vehicle to drive i can take my time and not rush anything. Will probably do the plenum too, basically everthing you did dhvaughan, + maybe a performance mod or two while i have everything apart. Any other suggestions on what i should do?? This has been a great truck for me overall and I owe it a good tune up...it's deserved it.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:31 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

cam , RR , upgrade the ingition.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:30 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

for perf mods, i'd do a fastmann TB, 1.7 rockers, and pass on the cam and headers. i think both of those are pita and not worth the hassle.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:11 AM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker

Yeah, i was thinking the same thing actually, not going to get too wild with the performance mods but those would be the two i'd do. 52mm fastman and 1.7 RR's. Also maybe get a chip or flash or something too, just to give it a little more power, and add the Mopar air cleaner and valve cover like silver_dodge has.

Quick Reply: Aaahh crap