2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How To Replace Ball Joints?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: How To Replace Ball Joints?

ORIGINAL: Slomojo

Ball joints are fun. If you got a 2WD truck, I guess you can say, "Hammer time." I've yet to have to do my uppers but to remove the lower ball joints your just going to need a ratchet, some sockets, a ball joint install tool kit, and a 5lb hammer. Not too difficult, but be sure that you check all of your ball joints before replacing all of them because the uppers don't go as fast as the lowers, at least not on my truck. How did you check all of them? I've learned to check them by getting under the car and trying to squeeze them with some 20" channel locks to see if the ***** are loose inside the sockets and by having someone turn the steering wheel rapidly from left to right as I watched for excessive place with a flashlight.
#1) That's what pickle forks are for
#2) There is now sway bar setup like that on the 2WD (the truck in question)
#3) 2WD ball joints are pressed in place (or in some cases, riveted at the factory)

Quick Reply: How To Replace Ball Joints?