2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where to put transmission drain plug?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 03:09 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Where to put transmission drain plug?

I drilled for the drain plug and it got some of the shavings on it. I got the big ones off but it's got really tiny ones on there you can't grab with your fingers and if you try to push them off they just keep sticking to it. Is it okay to just put it back in like this?

Old 04-22-2008, 03:11 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i dont think you need to be that precise.. get the big chunks off.. put the pan back in and filler up

Old 04-22-2008, 06:47 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

Updates of the install ? pics ?? and yes be that precise , nothing like having it clean on the install , or knowing that there are shavings on the mag (drive me nuts)

Old 04-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Slomojo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phsssssh... Where do you put the drainplug...

Dirty harry over here would just put it under the driver seat with something of about this stature. [sm=imsmilin.gif]

Old 04-22-2008, 07:31 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I got it installed and back together. I ran into a few snags with other stuff on it not the drain plug. Anyway I put it where I had marked and cleaned it all up with brake cleaner really well. After lots and lots of cleaning I finally got the magnet to look like I wanted. I'm a super perfectionist. Everyone else seemed to think I was crazy.

Right now I'm at the point of the install where I have to fill up the transmission with fluid. This has always been a pain to me on this truck as it's always been super hard to read the dipstick. I put 5 quarts in it and it just barely was on the stick. I put 6 and a half in it before it started coming to the okay mark. On the front of the dipstick it was lower in the okay mark but on the back it wasn't too far up the stick. I added some more and it never seemed to go up on the front. I finally stopped after adding 8 quarts. It seems to be in the same place on the okay mark but have more on the back of the stick now. I drove it around a tiny bit. I think I'm going to let it sit then check it.

Does 8 quarts sound right? How many should I have had to add? I just dropped the pan and changed the filter but I left it sitting for a while due to the fact that I was doing other stuff with it so some was dripping out then. I'm thinking I should have had to put 6 maybe 7 but not 8. Any tips to this? I think it's probably right but I want to let it sit then double check.

I want to check it with it running in neutral right?

Old 04-22-2008, 07:32 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

BTW if you guys want pictures I may try to get some of it up later.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:18 PM
ibaezpardo
Professional

Today I put my drain here, where the blue circle is...

[IMG]local://upfiles/64897/B4F7420385424EE4A789089E17BFBE45.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-21-2008, 09:23 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Cool. Is it working okay? I put mine where I did as I figured Wayne knew what he was doing so if he told me to put it there that was the best place.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:27 PM
ibaezpardo
Professional

Is working OK. I choose a place where the drain plug don't touch any tranny parts, also, in this place when you rise your car to drain the fluid, is almost the lowest side of the pan.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:46 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I just couldnt bring myself to drill a hole in the bottom of the pan. i actually placed mine on the back side of the pan very close to the magnet so when i drive it u pthe ramps, most of it'll run right out of the back.

You're gonna end up with some oil in the pan anyway as the piggy back plug has a 1/2" lip on it. Either way though, it beats the heck out of spilling it everywhere cracking it at the seal just leaving it stock.

HTM, did your magnet have a bunch of slimy metallic-shaving gook on it? Last summer when I pulled mine it was covered in it, I was suprised the magnet was still attacting anything.

Quick Reply: Where to put transmission drain plug?