2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

brake and abs light on.. need some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:31 PM
wayneo360
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake and abs light on.. need some help

hey i got a 2001 dodge ram 5.9 with rear abs. last night my red brake and orange abs light came on and the pedal sinks all the way to the floor. i just hooked it up to the scan tool at school and it gave me a 78 code which im guessing is B078 and it said foundation brake. i have no idea what that means. i checked the master cylinder and the front resiviour(sp) was pretty much empty. i didnt see and fluid where i parked last nite but i was parked on gravel so i dont know. does anybody know what this means or can help me out? that would be awesome because it was pretty scary driving it earlier to school but now im leaving it parked. any help would be awesome. thanks guys

Old 04-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Dontdodgeitramit
Professional
Default RE: brake and abs light on.. need some help

Make sure you dont have a leak. Have a friend step on the brake an look for a leak. Then check your master. Mine ole ford f350 dump truck had a vacuum booster go bad. An it sucked all the brake fluid out.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:31 AM
wayneo360
Professional

yea im defenitly(sp) going to check for a leak tomorrow when i have time thanks. do you know if the front resiviour goes the the front or the rear brakes? or do they go in a diaginole pattern? and does anybody know what this foundation brake code is?

Old 04-24-2008, 09:57 AM
dusty_duster
Veteran

Disconnect the vacuum line from the intake to the brake booster. If brake fluid comes out, you have a bad brake booster. Otherwise, you might have a leaky brake line.

Quick Reply: brake and abs light on.. need some help