2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Reground camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:49 AM
trucklover
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reground camshaft

Is a reground camshaft as good as a new core? Why or why not?

I am looking at this one at Hughes Engines: http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...=&partid=11430

Old 03-12-2009, 12:58 PM
helms
All Star

the reground cam can be just as good as a new one depending on what kind of cam you are looking for. If you are looking fo a cam with more lift and more duration then it wont work. By taking an existing camshaft and re grinding the lobe profiles to change the angles you can get a completely different animal. Also by re-grinding you end up losing material which results in less lift or less duration. In other engines you can restore the lift and dur. by re-profiling the bottom of the lobes to make the "closed" portion smaller, you would have to adjust your valves a little bit tighter but the Magnum engines i beleive have non-adjustible rockers so that wont work.

The price looks pretty good and it looks like a pretty good grind for a mild small ci engine. i dont see anything wrong with it.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:26 PM
trucklover
Veteran

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Reground camshaft