2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What oil to use in my truck.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:28 PM
ant824
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What oil to use in my truck.

I noticed several people are running with synthetics. I was wondering what differences it makes to run on different oil. We found a Walmart by our house that is selling a quart for 1.43 but it is some really off brand oil. Im guessing there are some differences but I am a broke 19 year old and Im wondering more. Thank you!

Old 05-22-2008, 04:40 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: What oil to use in my truck.

Synthetic oil has a more consistent molecule size compared to the dino oil. You may not notice a power difference, some don't, but you should definitely notice a small increase in MPG, and less wear-and-tear on your engine components that use the oil as a lubricant. You also will not have to change oil as often as with dino oil. My dad and I used to change oil every 3000 miles or so when we used dino stuff. I now change my oil every 6000. Some change it every 25000 miles with synthetic, but I don't know if I'd go that far.

The downside for synthetic, obviously, is cost.

From what I gather, the most popular types of synthetic oil, and supposedly the best, are (in no particular order): Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Mobil 1.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Dodgeman000
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt run oil changes longer than what the factory is recomending. Maybe a little longer. Also if you never use synthetic on your truck and you switch over you might develop an oil leak.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:06 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The factory, except for maybe on the newer cars and trucks, goes by dino oil change intervals. And they are a bit to long, IMO, for comfort.

Some synthetics are rated to last longer than the factory intervals. Use your judgment, based on research here on the forums and elsewhere, is what I advise.

The oil leak comment is true, some will develop a leak, mostly depending on how many miles you have on the truck. Thats not the oil's fault, however... it means that you had a leak that was plugged up by sludge or whatever from the old oil, and the synthetic washed it out. Fix the leak(s) and there you go.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:58 PM
ant824

Thank you. Now is there a difference in what kind I use if I decide to use the dino? and sorry Im new to forums so what does IMO mean? I seem to see it a lot. Thank you.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:59 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

IMO = In My Opinion.
IMHO = In My Honest Opinion

Don't worry about it. We were all new to this stuff at one point or another.

I'm not aware of differences in the dino oil now-a-days, since I use synthetic and never saw a need to research the dino stuff. I know Quaker State and Castrol, I believe, used to use bees wax in their oil, which was cheap, but has some rather nasty effects as far as the oil's performance. However, I have no idea if thats still the case.

Do some Googling and you should find something. Just be careful that your sources are reliable before you believe what they tell you.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:06 PM
mstephen89
Captain

if you are going to use regular oil I would go with valvoline, if you go with synthetic stick with amsoil or mobil one because they wear much less on the components, royal purple has been shown to deliver more horsepower and thats why many race cars run it, but think about it they rebuild there motor every weekend.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:02 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

I have used Mobil 1 10w30 for several years now. I still change it every 3000 miles. Not that it breaks down - but because it gets dirty just like regular oil. I justify the cost this way.....
If you take your truck to a "Quick Lube" place to have it done - it will cost you between $24.99 and $30 to have it done with oil and filters of questionable quality. You have them trying to sell you wipers, filters and everything else every time you go. And then - if you don't watch them - they may not even change it. (I know this because I suspected it when I used to take my truck to a Quik Lube - marked the filter with a marker - same mark still there after it was done...[:@])
If you go to Wal Mart you can buy a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 for like $22. Purolator filter at Advance Auto is like $3.50. Takes me about 15 minutes to change it.
Peace of mind......Priceless!

Old 05-23-2008, 04:16 AM
timsalas
Veteran

Im switching to 15w40 this next oil change, its ma summer blend ;-)

Old 05-23-2008, 07:52 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been thinking about switching to the 0W30 Mobil 1 for a litle mileage boost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What oil to use in my truck.