2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sudden loss of power 95 RAM 318

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 08:43 PM
rocdad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden loss of power 95 RAM 318

I am experiencing an intermittent problem with sudden loss of power and bogging down. with my 95’ Ram 1500 (318 ) at freeway speeds engine suddenly loses power and runs terribly after I pull over and wait five to ten minutes engine will usually run perfectly again this problem can happen after five miles or five hundred in hot or cold weather.
In fact I first had this problem in Florida and it resolved itself then drove to California with no problem now problem is back I have replace EGR and control solenoid (found it melted due to contact with exhaust system), cat converter, temp sender, and a few other sending units any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-21-2005, 01:23 PM
02dakota
Default RE: Sudden loss of power 95 RAM 318

Does it happen when the fuel tank is closer to empty? I'm wondering if the fuel pump is going bad. Sometimes they will heat up too much when the fuel is low (fuel keeps them cool) and will do what you are describing. Sounds weird but I would install a fuel pressure guage and monitor it while you drive the truck. Get one with a long hose so you can tape it to the windshield. Just a thought man...good luck!

Old 01-30-2005, 08:41 PM
rocdad
Default RE: Sudden loss of power 95 RAM 318

Thanks for the thoughts but it happens when full, half or low I do notice when I get gas that there is air vacum or pressure in tank when I unscrew gas cap replaced cap with no effect
Bob

Quick Reply: Sudden loss of power 95 RAM 318