2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC compressor kicks on at 5psi runs for 5 secs and kicks off at 45psi over and over

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 01:12 PM
cakley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC compressor kicks on at 5psi runs for 5 secs and kicks off at 45psi over and over

I bought a used Ram. A/C comp wouldn't kick on. Freon PSI was too high and it was lowered. Then the compressor would kick on PSI would rise to above normal rangecompressor would kick off. Freon was removed to lower PSI. Now compressor will not even kick on and PSI is in correct range.[]

I jumped the relay and lowered the pressure to 5psi. Now it will kick on for 5 seconds as the psi rises to 45 and kicks off. Compressor never stays engaged and air doesn't cool down.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:22 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: AC compressor kicks on at 5psi runs for 5 secs and kicks off at 45psi over and over

Well 5 psi is WAY too low! That is why it wont stay on.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:11 PM
kowboydmac
All Star
Default RE: AC compressor kicks on at 5psi runs for 5 secs and kicks off at 45psi over and over

Mine did that, and my mech buddy just filled the freon back up to 45, and it works great now.

Ya just have to keep feeding it until it stays level. If your compressor kicks on and off, it should still be working, just not enough pressure to keep things cool.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:06 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A/C pressure can be a real pain to get just right. You really should use a manifold gauge and check the high and low as you fill it. Also, it helps to let the system stabilize for a minute or two after adding some freon. A completely empty system should only use about 28.8 oz of freon. That's a little over 2 cans if it's bone dry and pulling a vacuum.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:05 AM
cakley

thanks for the info. When I bought the truck the psi was way in the red. Way too high. Now I've got it too low.[>:]

I'll try and add small amounts at a time. So I can ensure I don't overfill

thanks for the tips

Semper Fi

Old 06-26-2008, 08:57 PM
cakley

I slowly added some freon. As the pressure came up the compressor would stay on for longer. I was still well in the normal range and only used about 1/2 a 12oz can. The psi shot up to 110 and the compressor wouldn't kick back on.

Bleed some freon and no luck. I attempted to jump the compressor at the relay swith and screwed up and blew the 10amp fuse. Replaced the fuse. Bleed the freon down to 20psi. And now nothing. [X(][:@]

Old 07-02-2008, 04:32 PM
cakley

any tips the compressor will not kick on. Even if I bypass the relay it will not kick on.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Cheesehead

I have an 01 ram 4x4 5.9 .....ac not working either...put one of those $20 cans on with the inline gauge and i see it go from the low end up to about 55 in the yellow and cycle back again as the compressor cycles in 7 sec intervals. I didnt put any freon in as the instructions state not to if youre in the yellow area.

Is this a freon issue also or do I have bigger probls.

jeff

Old 08-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Brian'stime
Default Not cool

Brother does a/c.. My 97 does the same thing, wasted 44.00 on the fix all a/c can. What the real deal is. There is air in the system and no matter now many cans of that stuff you put in, the new r12 is a off breed from the old school. So here's the scoop. There is a leak in the system and air is now in the lines, bite the bullet take it in and have the system evac'd refilled and ad a dye that can be seen with a black lite, run it a week and take it back to see the leak. You WILL damage your system if that a/c fix all has a anti leak ingredient. Off to see my bro:-(

Last edited by Brian'stime; 08-10-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Seriously? A SIX year old thread???

Quick Reply: AC compressor kicks on at 5psi runs for 5 secs and kicks off at 45psi over and over