2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil pressure??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Black1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure??

this is my first time posting but im gonna give it a try... earlier today i went and miss judged a water whole and ended up my truck had got water in the engine from settin there till i could get a pull out of the whole... as soon as i got it out i had shut it off and got fluids drains and got the water out off there... but now i am having trouble when im running my truck at juss bout anything over 1500rpms its fine but if i let it idle the oil pressure drops completely and if i rev it up it jumps right back up... i want to fix it tmrw bc its my only day off but have no clue as to what it might be...

Old 06-22-2008, 08:21 AM
2 Marks
Professional
Default RE: oil pressure??

very odd. Your water and low oil pressure are mutual exclusive issues. Verify that your oil level is correct. good luck.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Black1500

yea ive checked the oil and it is correct and there is no engine noise while idling or even running down the road but if its rev quick it makes a high pitch almost whistle... i was thinking my oil pump might have got messed up but i really have no clue and dont wanna start to tear apart until i have a better idea of what it might be...

Old 06-22-2008, 08:53 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

any milky color to your oil, indicating water still in there ?
how high was the water level you were sitting in ?

thinking out loud..
since it registers normal oil pressure above 1500, that indicates the oil pressure sending unit on the back of the block is probably ok.
oil pressure tends to be lower at idle, and higher at rpm.
sending unit somehow communicates electrically, by resistence/voltage level.

you might unplug the connector to the sensor, blow it off with air, put a good dab of di-electric grease on the connector terminals, and replug.

you might use a qt bottle of gunk brand engine engine cleaner. assuming there might be a water/oil sludge wad in an oil passage. its a solvent you pour in the oil and idle for a few minutes and then drain. follow the instructions. its cheap, something like $3. claims to desolve sludge. i think its safe.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Black1500

deep enough to put bout 3in of water in my truck and the front bumper was almost completely under water... wheres the sensor located maybe i can give that a try... after changing i havnt checked the oil sense i drove it home lastnight so i dont kno... i was goin to go today and try to find something to try and clean it all out with bc i want to flush it all out again to make sure all the water is out...

Old 06-22-2008, 09:06 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: Black1500
i was thinking my oil pump might have got messed up

if its rev quick it makes a high pitch almost whistle...
an oil pump is a pretty solid hunk of iron, and it can pump water as easily as it pumps oil, with no damage that i can see other than rust. i wouldn't think its hurt any. water is sort of similar to oil, in that it doesn't compress like air does. so a little water in the oil for a brief period should not hurt anything. the oil real major problem that could occur is water inside the cylinders which can bend rods or break cranks. as long as its not inside the cylinders (while trying to crank with plugs in), i cant see any harm with some water getting into the crankcase.

if a simple solution doesn't work out, then install a mechanical gauge where the sending unit attaches to see if its a real problem or just a false report from the pcm/gauge.

i'm betting you just have a sludgy mess that needs more cleaning out....

whistle - belt, pulley/bearing on one of the belt driven devices. temporarily remove the belt to see if the problem disappears. just be aware that w/o the belt the water pump is not working so don't actually drive it or run it a long time or you'll overheat quick.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:11 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

oil pressure sending unit is on the top of the block, at the very rear of the engine, on the passenger side of the motor, right beside the distributor, and right up against the firewall. remove the air cleaner and you'll see it. its a black cylinder about 1 inch in diameter and 3 inches tall with an electrical connector on top.

3 inches in the floorboard..... [:@]

Old 06-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Black1500

yea it was a ****ty night and i went and moved the truck to a level spto and there appears to b no water in oil, im still gonna get some sort of thing to clean it all out and the oil pressure still was fine while higher rpms but still dropped after idling for bout 5 second or so and the weird whining noise seems to b something in clutch which was goin out when i bought it and already had plans to replace with a centerforce shortly...
i was the lucky one out of it the other kid was there were thinkin messed a bearing up when he sucked water in the hole b4 it... he had hydro locked it and he wanted to get it outta there so we pulled all the plugs and spun it over and then when we got it runnin again it seems as though what we came to as a bearings going out... warranty hopefully will cover his though after we put stock intake on his again...

Old 06-22-2008, 09:39 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

straight shift ? throw out bearing ? wet clutch slipping ? it all might quieten down on its on when it dries out.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:46 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: Black1500
this is my first time posting but im gonna give it a try...
oh yeah... welcome to DF and good first post.

Quick Reply: oil pressure??