2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What does no bu5 mean?

Old 07-05-2008, 08:59 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What does no bu5 mean?

My cel has been coming on for the misfire which is no big deal. I hope to fix that soon. Well today I parked it for a little while when to move it and my gauges are all screwy. My gas says E my low fuel light is on, my abs, and air bag lights are on. My milage blinks then it says no bu5. I tryed the key on key off to get the code and it doesnt show anything. It seems that sitting still when you gas it, it bogs down and sounds like it wants to die but dont. WTF is going on?

Old 07-05-2008, 10:44 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What does no bu5 mean?

No bus refers to the communication bus between all the computers. These are the wires the computers share information on.
When you cluster says no bus it means the cluster can't communicate on the bus.
The whole bus network could be down or the cluster could be defective. Any module on the bus could fail and bring down the bus too.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:47 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion

ok how do I fix it or what can I check? I found out on the way home my speedo and rpm dont work either and the truck seems to be really down on power. I was pulling a 18 ft cargo trailer and from a stop and up hills it seemed like i wasnt moving. Glad I bought that stang.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:02 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker

It's not easy. Even professional techs will have problems properly diagnosing.
Your gonna need a scan tool, Digital Volt meter (DVOM) and a wiring diagram at minimum.

You need to determine if you have a partial or total bus failure first. See if a scan tool will communicate with any of the modules other than the PCM first.

Any recent work done to the truck? Any visible wiring problems?

Old 07-06-2008, 07:25 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

ah nope. All the mods have been done a while ago. I was pulling a trailer that seems to have an electrical issue other then that nothing out of the norm. I thought my exhaust sounded funny but figured it was just the echo off the trailer. Will a cheap scanner work or does it have to be one of the high dollar ones?

Old 07-06-2008, 07:33 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

A cheap one should be fine.
Remember it has to be a scan too not just a code reader.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:22 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

Still haven't gotten this fixed. The code reader I used showed no codes. I stoped by a dealer Thursday and talked to a service guy. He said sounds like a cluster issue I mentioned the pcm but he was all about the cluster. He said it would be $79 to diag it. For the ****s and giggles of it I went to the parts counter and got prices on a new cluster and pcm.

Ya'll might wanna sit down for this crazy ****.

$815 for a cluster. (I think they are on crack or something. Thats insane)
The pcm he couldn't give me an exact price because of not having the vin but it was around $700

I think I might take it to them to diag it then fix it myself.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:40 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

a scan tool would be faster, but, do a search here on d/f for "no bus". its a fairly common problem and there are a number of things you can try before spending a lot of money. it can be as simple as a bad ground, a bad sensor, pcm plug, .... up to the whole blooming pcm. rabbler has several posts about unplugging the sensors to try and find it.

it might, or might not be the cluster. you can't tell by just guessing. at $1000 a pop, they REALLY like to sell clusters and pcm's. be aware that you can buy a cluster on ebay for $25-100. also be aware the mileage is stored in the cluster and cannot be changed.

Search this Thread