2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

evap leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:57 PM
allstar05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

evap leak on 2004 ram 1500 4.7 I have changed all hoses under hood purge pump gas cap and hose under cab and the engine light still comes on code shows small evap leak. I need help any other suggestion or help Im going crazy tring to fix this,Dealer wont to charge to much. this will be a last resort

Old 08-18-2013, 11:32 PM
frankiedon53
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Sixtysixdeuce
Ideally, you use a smoke machine to test for evap leaks. Since most guys don't have that little $1000 piece of equipment, all you can do is physically inspect fuel cap, solenoids, charcoal canister and all connecting hoses inch by inch. Bad fuel caps (or loose, missing) are the #1 cause for evap leak DTC's, but I've seen plenty of cracked lines and melted purge valves. Also see lots of stuck vent solenoids in dusty areas.
Only today Aug.18 I did exactly that to the evap.system on my 2001 dodge ram 2500. What I found was : the rubber elbows were very soft so I repaired them the best I could.One rubber connector was cracked on the end so I just cut the bad end off .I opened the purged solinoid and checked the diaphrams cleaned and reinstalled .I also opened the Leak detection pump and the filter and cleaned and reinstalled.I vacuumed the charcoal canister with a wet and dry vac. don't know if that makes any sense to any one who may know more about it than I do,but can't do any better now. The diaphram in the L.D.P did look a little soft if thats the right word but the operation seemed fine when I pressed on the spindle.I checked the hoses with light airline pressure in a bucket of water after plugging one side of the hose and did not see any leaks....I'm not sure yet if all of that did any good Because the CAR-MD tester is still indicating a flashing EV circle but not a P-code...I'm hoping that when I drive the van for a period of time It will change. ...I guess I better stop here it is already very long . Appreciate any input on all my work. thank you. frank.

Quick Reply: evap leak