2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Acetone in gas... 2+mpg do it!

Old 08-06-2008, 05:09 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Acetone in gas... 2+mpg do it!

Okay… I know you all have heard of this, and prolly are crying BS.. but you’re wrong.. sorry!

By mixing 3ounces (oz.) of 100% pure acetone with 10 gallons (gal.) of gas, you will see a 1-2mpg increase in mileage. It works by acting like an octane booster, but it doesn’t cost as much! It also cleans your engine and takes off and prevents carbon build-up.

Now..

A gallon of acetone can be purchased at home depot or your local hardware store for about $14-$16. There is 128oz. in a gallon. This will be enough to treat 426 gallons of fuel. As stated above mix 3oz. with 10 gallons. This calculates out to be 0.30 oz. per gallon. So if you fill up and put in 24 gallons you would add 7.2oz. of acetone. DO NOT USE MORE THAN 3oz. PER GALLON! This will REDUCE you mpg!

Assuming you fill up and put 24 gallons in each time, using 7.2 oz of acetone, you will get about 24-48 more miles out of each fill-up. Follow me? With one gallon of acetones that can treat 426 gallons, and you see an increase of 1-2mpg you would be able to get anywhere from 426-853 miles off of one gallon of acetone!!!!

So, for $15 you will be able to travel up to 853 more miles with one gallon of acetone!

Well worth 15 bucks right?!

Now call BS and what have you, but for the last 9 weeks I’ve been driving 866 miles a week just to get to work. I think I know what I’m talking about!

Old 08-06-2008, 08:03 AM
MEINEKEMAN1
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good.Definitely worth a shot.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

How do we know thats not doing any damage to our engines. Im not calling BS or anything i just honestly dont know what acetone is and what neg. effects it might have.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:30 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Not to doubt you at all, but their are many claims out there (by people with pretty good credentials, I might add) about similar results if you put TCW3 oil in your gas. At a ratio of 1 oz. per every 5 gallons of gas. At $10-$12 a gallon and with only having to use 2 oz. per 10 gallons it looks a little bit more economical than the acetone. Plus, and a big plus in my book, TCW3 oil (usually a gas additive for marine engines) is a product made to be mixed with gas and go into engines...

I've not tried it yet myself, but have been toying with the idea for a few months now. There are quite a few posts about it on various forums. I first read about it on another Dodge truck forum, which would be inappropriate link on here. Here is a good post on an LS1 forum, which should not be a conflict to link to here...

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91206

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-06-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:42 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts

been there, done that, didnt work...

Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Not to doubt you at all, but their are many claims out there (by people with pretty good credentials, I might add) about similar results if you put TCW3 oil in your gas. At a ratio of 1 oz. per every 5 gallons of gas. At $10-$12 a gallon and with only having to use 2 oz. per 10 gallons it looks a little bit more economical than the acetone. Plus, and a big plus in my book, TCW3 oil (usually a gas additive for marine engines) is a product made to be mixed with gas and go into engines...

I've not tried it yet myself, but have been toying with the idea for a few months now. There are quite a few posts about it on various forums. I first read about it on another Dodge truck forum, which would be inappropriate link on here. Here is a good post on an LS1 forum, which should not be a conflict to link to here...

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91206
2stroke oil in your gas??? it's common with diesels and I do 16 oz per tank along with another additive but havent heard of doing it with gas. Have you tried it yet? I drive 170 mi each day and could see pretty quickly if there was anything to it or not (if I could just keep my foot out of it and stay out of the boost )

Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iwhitne
Okay… I know you all have heard of this, and prolly are crying BS.. but you’re wrong.. sorry!

By mixing 3ounces (oz.) of 100% pure acetone with 10 gallons (gal.) of gas, you will see a 1-2mpg increase in mileage. It works by acting like an octane booster, but it doesn’t cost as much! It also cleans your engine and takes off and prevents carbon build-up.

Now..

A gallon of acetone can be purchased at home depot or your local hardware store for about $14-$16. There is 128oz. in a gallon. This will be enough to treat 426 gallons of fuel. As stated above mix 3oz. with 10 gallons. This calculates out to be 0.30 oz. per gallon. So if you fill up and put in 24 gallons you would add 7.2oz. of acetone. DO NOT USE MORE THAN 3oz. PER GALLON! This will REDUCE you mpg!

Assuming you fill up and put 24 gallons in each time, using 7.2 oz of acetone, you will get about 24-48 more miles out of each fill-up. Follow me? With one gallon of acetones that can treat 426 gallons, and you see an increase of 1-2mpg you would be able to get anywhere from 426-853 miles off of one gallon of acetone!!!!

So, for $15 you will be able to travel up to 853 more miles with one gallon of acetone!

Well worth 15 bucks right?!

Now call BS and what have you, but for the last 9 weeks I’ve been driving 866 miles a week just to get to work. I think I know what I’m talking about!

This is a crock of shiat and total BS. Yeah, I said it. Common sense would dictate that *IF* acetone improved mileage then it would be blended with the gasoline from the refinery. Mythbusters disproved this myth as well, not to mention the fact that acetone eats rubber.

While you're at it, why not install those magic magnets around your fuel line as well as a vortex plate under your throttle body. That ought to give you better mileage AND horsepower.

Every time gas goes up a nickel people hawk all kinds of snake oil to increase oil rather than looking at the obvious -- clean filters, proper pressure in the tires, and conservative driving.

3oz is the magic number??? You're a putz.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:02 AM
MEINEKEMAN1
Captain

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
This is a crock of shiat and total BS. Yeah, I said it. Common sense would dictate that *IF* acetone improved mileage then it would be blended with the gasoline from the refinery. Mythbusters disproved this myth as well, not to mention the fact that acetone eats rubber.

While you're at it, why not install those magic magnets around your fuel line as well as a vortex plate under your throttle body. That ought to give you better mileage AND horsepower.

Every time gas goes up a nickel people hawk all kinds of snake oil to increase oil rather than looking at the obvious -- clean filters, proper pressure in the tires, and conservative driving.

3oz is the magic number??? You're a putz.

LOL.Wow can you be a little more direct?

I don't believe the theory that if this worked the manufactures would add it at the refinery though.The oil companies only care about the mighty dollar.They don't care about getting you better gas mileage.

Thats cool to hear about mythbusters dis-proving it though.I missed that episode.

I definitely agree with you about how to get better mpg.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:17 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by steve05ram360
2stroke oil in your gas??? it's common with diesels and I do 16 oz per tank along with another additive but havent heard of doing it with gas. Have you tried it yet? I drive 170 mi each day and could see pretty quickly if there was anything to it or not (if I could just keep my foot out of it and stay out of the boost )
Like I said in my post, I've not tried it yet. I'm in a situation with my parents both being ill, where I've been in Fl. for some time and don't have the opportunity to leave the house much. I've only put about 1500 miles on the truck this year so far and maybe 3500 miles on my Grand Cherokee (and that includes a 1700 miles round trip to the north Ga. mountains for a much needed vacation in June). I would have tried it then, but didn't start reading about it until about the second week of July.
So it would take me forever to be able to see or attest to the benefit(s) of the TCW3 in my gas tank.
Am going to get up to the farm in Ga. for a week or so after Labor Day and will probably try it then to see as I should put about 750 miles or so on the truck.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iwhitne
....It also cleans your engine and takes off and prevents carbon build-up....
I'm not disputing that it might improve mpg. If you've seen results that are positive, congrats! (i'd never put it in my fuel though). But what proof do you have that it cleans your engine and prevents carbon build-up (other then that you read it on the internet, which is not proof at all)? Have you disassembled your engine since you started using it to verify that there is no carbon build-up and that your engine is cleaner? I call BS on this claim alone simply because you likely have no proof that it does any such thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acetone in gas... 2+mpg do it!