2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 ram need help p1762

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 08:55 AM
ChrystalS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I have a 92 Dodge Dakota 3.9 v6. My head gasket blew. I had to buy a completely new cylinder head. Bought new gaskets. I have since replaced the battery, ignition coil, distributor cap and rotor button, also replace my spark plugs (and gapped correctly) and wires. I also had replaced the vss, and air control valve. There is no spark coming out of the distributor to the spark plugs. When trying to turn on my truck the fuses click, it's getting fuel but the engine just whines, doesn't actually turn over.. I am at a loss. Someone help, please!!!

Old 05-10-2016, 10:39 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might the Dakota forum. This is the full sized Ram forum.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:40 AM
crazyjohn7
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChrystalS
Hello. I have a 92 Dodge Dakota 3.9 v6. My head gasket blew. I had to buy a completely new cylinder head. Bought new gaskets. I have since replaced the battery, ignition coil, distributor cap and rotor button, also replace my spark plugs (and gapped correctly) and wires. I also had replaced the vss, and air control valve. There is no spark coming out of the distributor to the spark plugs. When trying to turn on my truck the fuses click, it's getting fuel but the engine just whines, doesn't actually turn over.. I am at a loss. Someone help, please!!!
I am not an expert by no means I don't even call myself a mechanic I just go by my experience's and other people of what they have had I had a 1989 GMC Jimmy with 4.3 it was doing the exact same problems as yours was it turned out to be the ignition module and the pick-up coil that's on your distributor try those two things luckily you can take both of them off go and try and have AutoZone test them to see if they're good or not I would start there but I wouldn't buy no more parts until I started getting spark but kudos to you when it comes to fixing a blown head gasket done that once already heck of a job I hope this helps

Old 05-11-2016, 01:05 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Lightbulb Whine

My first thought when I saw "whine" was starter not engaging the flywheel.

Not gonna have spark if it isn't cranking.

Fuses don't click, relays do, but it isn't normal. Take the cover off the PDC (black box next to the battery).

This is where the relays and fuses are. .There's a diagram inside the cover that shows the fuse and relay locations.

Find the Automatic Shutdown (ASD) Relay and unplug it. Turn the key on again and see if the clicking went away.

If you still hear clicking, plug that one back in, and unplug the Fuel Pump Relay. Turn the key on and check for clicking.

If it's still clicking, put that one back in and try another one. Keep going 'til you find the one that's clicking.

When you do, let us know which one it is.

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 05-11-2016 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:54 AM
crazyjohn7

I would agree with Friar Tuck, whining noise is from starters going out or not catching right, had one with starter strips, fuses blow not click. I just assumed it was trying to turn over cause of the whine.

Quick Reply: 99 ram need help p1762