2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 ram need help p1762

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:33 PM
ronmexico
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 ram need help p1762

Ok so I finally got my hands on a code scanner. The code that pops up is p1762 I know it is a trans issue from searching but I couldnt find any real solution or "how to" for it. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this code?

Old 08-13-2008, 07:49 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

P1762
Governor Pressure Sensor Offset Improper Voltage

Replace the Governor pressure sensor. You need to pull the pan for this procedure, it's located in the part of the valve body that is covered by the pan that looks like the little boxy part, directly across the valve body from the band adjustment screw.

Download the FSM here:

http://www.rm-indy.com/wavefiles/2001ramsrvcmanual.zip

and go to page 2177 and use fig 77 to locate it.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:27 AM
ronmexico

Wow, Thats exactly what I was lookin for. Thanks so much man its much appreciated. Now i just gotta get my *** to work on it lol. I'll post results once its done.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:05 PM
luckylynk
Default Need Help! Going to pull my hair out.

I have a 99 dodge 1500 with a 5.9. When i first bought it it started up fine every time. i replaced the rear end in it because it was bad which i unhooked the battery. after i had it all back together i put the battery in and it just turned over and over, wouldn't start.. I open the hood to hear the ASD relay clicking constantly. so i switched it with the horn relay and sure enough, same thing.. I pulled off the plastic cover to the relay and jumped it together and it stopped clicking and the truck started, but when you shut it off it runs for a few more revolutions then shuts off. So i then put a good relay in it and hooked up the code reader and it wouldn't communicate with the reader and the odometer reads NO BUS. i put in the one i rigged and it communicates. but only shows one code.. P1762. I am lost.. don't know what to do.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by luckylynk
I have a 99 dodge 1500 with a 5.9. When i first bought it it started up fine every time. i replaced the rear end in it because it was bad which i unhooked the battery. after i had it all back together i put the battery in and it just turned over and over, wouldn't start.. I open the hood to hear the ASD relay clicking constantly. so i switched it with the horn relay and sure enough, same thing.. I pulled off the plastic cover to the relay and jumped it together and it stopped clicking and the truck started, but when you shut it off it runs for a few more revolutions then shuts off. So i then put a good relay in it and hooked up the code reader and it wouldn't communicate with the reader and the odometer reads NO BUS. i put in the one i rigged and it communicates. but only shows one code.. P1762. I am lost.. don't know what to do.
P1762 Gov Press Sens Offset Volts Too Low or Hi

I doubt that is causing the problem, more likely a result of it. Check your battery cables, make sure they are clean, and tight. Also check grounds. There's a couple right up by the power steering pump that are pretty important.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:31 PM
luckylynk

When i first started it up the alternator was froze up, i freed it up with a pipe wrench and sprayed it with PB blaster it turned and my amp meter in the truck says its good. But could this be a result? i saw a test procedure on here somewhere about testing pins 3 and 11 or something like that in reference to the NO BUS issue to test them they should be 2.5 or close and mine reads 5v..

Old 06-05-2012, 08:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Grab the 01 service manual from the faq section here. I do believe they have a procedure for diagnosing No Bus issues in there.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:56 PM
luckylynk

i cant find it.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

This thread. Grab the 01 manual, it will be closest to your truck.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:11 AM
crazyjohn7
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9L 2-WHEEL DRIVE, with a 42RE Transmission but I was getting P1762 Governor Pressure Sensor Offset Improper Voltage. It wouldn't shift out of first gear done it intermittent, and it really seemed to have weird problems, like coming up with different codes as misfiring and tried turning OD off but no avail. It would stall at the computer pigtails when pressed or wiggled, mainly white connector, but my problem WAS FIXED by buying a governor solenoid that holds 4-11mm bolts and 2- t20 screws, and governor pressure sensor off Ebay for $120. it took me and a friend about a hour to do whole job. First time I have ever worked this kind of tranny job, but after I put new filter in which holds 3-t20 screws, and gasket with sealer to hold the gasket in place while putting 10-15 1/2 bolts, be very careful to unplug the sensor plug and governor pressure solenoid plug. Afterwards I put in the ATF+4 (5 QRTS not 4), and when I started truck the check engine light went off immediately, took it for a test drive, I had more power, shifted perfect, and still shifts perfect. and I was just about to replace the computer that would cost here around $230-$270, glad I didn't. I have researched and researched countless forums. My advice is if your having similar problems and trouble codes of P1762 and P1763, do the governor pressure solenoid and sensor, filter and the right type of tranny fluid it calls for, before buying the computer unless the scanner tool wont read from computer. Hopes this helps someone, and don't be discourage about the kind of job, it was'nt really that bad, just messy. Just registered and type the code in and this post came up. The parts didn't look bad at all, but was completely worth it.ty

Quick Reply: 99 ram need help p1762