2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

What causes play in the steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:26 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What causes play in the steering wheel?

My steering wheel is starting to get some play in it. Where it will move a little bit before actually turning much. Is this the steering box going bad or the trac bar or what causes this? Thanks.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:48 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know as well. I know I need an alignment, but I am starting to get some play too. Haha oh, and that wierd cluck if I turn right and hold it. Sounds like something "pops" lol

Old 08-29-2008, 11:50 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

That sounds like the ball joints were in my Chevy. No play but it clunked if you held it to the side. Have you checked them? I don't know that the play in the steering wheel is related.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:43 AM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

I had about 2" of slop in my steering. The previous owner replaced the gear box, and the intermediate shaft (reman OEM parts ugh!!), and guessing I still have the original trac-bar.

Since I got the truck, I am down to less than 1/2" of play. Both my bearings were bad, and that reduced it slightly, new tires helped also, and I know my trac-bar needs to be replaced soon. But I found the idiot never fully tightened the intermediate shaft to the gear box. About 2 full turns or so on the clamp and I lost a big amount of slop. I get a clunk from the shaft, thats common with the OEM intermediate shaft. I can't afford the upgrade borgeson shaft that will fix the clunk. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku.
Luckily my ball-joints are still good. I think if I replaced my trac-bar and shaft I think it would take care of my steering issues, but that would be another $150 for the trac-bar (NAPA Lifetime Warranty) and the shaft is $250-280. I am content now with the way it drives. Just hate the way it stops. my next project.

Last edited by 98DodgeRam1500; 08-30-2008 at 07:47 AM. Reason: typos
Old 08-30-2008, 09:09 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There's a few things you can do,

Read this article carefully, to make sure you're having this problem before you spend the money. I found that my '01 isn't having this particular issue, perhaps they fixed it by then?:

http://www.rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/

I also found that flushing my PS pump and lines helped a bit and probably should be done if you are going to attempt the next step:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-diesel-tech/111760-diy-power-steering-service.html

You can also tighten up the adjustment screw on the steering gear box. Be very careful not to over tighten it or the worm gear inside will bind and skip causing premature wear. You can get a lot of slop out with this:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/87124-adjusted-steering-box-removed-play-in-steering.html

If your steering gear box is leaking, go here:

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/steeringbox.php

Have a fun long weekend.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:44 PM
RamSteeringFix Guy
Thumbs up A potential source of play....check this before chasing other items...

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
My steering wheel is starting to get some play in it. Where it will move a little bit before actually turning much. Is this the steering box going bad or the trac bar or what causes this? Thanks.
Hometheaterman:

It could be the lower column bearing assembly is getting weak.

That little spring that you see on the end of the column (above intermediate shaft u-joint) does a job of pushing up on the internal bearing (hidden just up inside column shell on manual trucks / inside column shifter tube on auto trucks).

After some years & miles, it loses tension, allowing the (hidden) lower steering column bearing to fail to support the bottom end of the inner shaft - and steering precision is lost & funny noises begin to occur.

There is a YouTube posted, where this issue is explained in more detail: http://tinyurl.com/RamFixVideo

Your observation & question, plus the next comment by PCFixerPro about his increasing play & clunking noise...

"... but I am starting to get some play too. Haha oh, and that wierd cluck if I turn right and hold it. Sounds like something "pops" lol..." (end quote)

These are classic symptoms of a bad steering column bearing. At first, you just get play, once the play increases, the clunk usually manifests itself.

This is because once the bearing wear is advanced, the column shaft flops around the column shell, hence the weird 'clunk & pop' noises.

Hope this is of help to anyone chasing down 'Issues'....

David / RamSteeringFix Guy

Last edited by RamSteeringFix Guy; 03-10-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: clarity...
Old 03-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing like digging up a 2 yr old post to sell your wares. I sent you a PM, please go check your inbox RamSteeringFixGuy.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:54 PM
RamSteeringFix Guy
Thumbs up Back to you silver ram....

Actually, I didn't "dig up" this old thread - a click thru link to our site popped up the thread archieved here.

When i read the posts & realized that this is clearly an issue our steering fix kit addresses & that won't be solved until the root cause is addressed - I thought a post would help enlighten others.

Yes I'm looking into becoming an "approved vendor" - if at all possible.

Isn't open dialogue that ultimately helps Ram owners solve their most difficult issues (& enjoy their ride) the overarching goal - which if sought diligently, prospers everyone ?

I was happy to learn of DodgeForum.com after being invited by members (who were also our satisfied customers) recently to come, visit & join the discussion.

I am hoping to make a positive contribution to that overarching goal.

Thank you for allowing me to explain things.

Best Regards, David
- sent from My Virgin Mobile

Last edited by RamSteeringFix Guy; 03-10-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-10-2011, 06:37 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

$ 60 isnt bad.

Last edited by DukesOfHazzard; 03-11-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Quick Reply: What causes play in the steering wheel?