2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4wd problems 1999 ram 1500 5.2

Old 09-12-2008, 09:39 AM
dothedeww
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd problems 1999 ram 1500 5.2

just recently, I started having trouble in 4WD. When i shift into 4wd low, if I turn the wheel just 5 degrees the front end starts hopping, like jerking forward rapidly. Does teh same thing in reverse with the wheel turned just about 5 degrees. When I got into 4wd high, it does the same thing but only once I hit like 15 degrees turning the wheel. Also, it likes to get jammed in 4wd low where you try and shift it back into 2wd, and eventually just pop itself in.

Just wondering what this could be?
transfer case?

PS - anyone reading before, I had power problems. Turned out to be a bad cat.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:29 PM
vmann
Veteran

4wd is not designed for streets. It locks and thats why it hops. Also you should be moving when you go into 4wd. All trucks will hop like that if they are in 4wd on pavement.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:44 PM
360magnumram
Professional

as for it getting stuck in 4wd it takes time for it to disengage. although its supposed to be on the fly it doesn't always work. Mine does the same thing. Just drive it out or usually stopping and going back in reverse for a few yards then going forward again will take it out.

It tends to stick a lil more when you don't use it so much. But most trucks do that.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:49 PM
dodgeguy97
Professional

there right 4wd is not be locked in on the dry pavement have you tried it out in the grass or mud if it still is popping or grinding and its from the front end you need axel joints

Old 09-12-2008, 07:53 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, if you have to, read your owners manual, it say to put the truck in neutral, while rolling at 2 to 3 mph, switch to and from 4low, an yes, the reverse thing works because of the hubs locking, by you drivng in reverse for like 10 yards, unlocks them, i dont have to but do it every time i come out fo 4wd because it just puts the peace of mind for me

Old 09-12-2008, 09:44 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when shifting in/out of 4 low, shift transmission to N and reduce speed to 2-3 mph. then shift hard and fast from 4hi all the way through N to 4lo. do not shift slow, do not shift easy, do not pause in neutral. just jam it and it'll shift fine without grinding.

if you do pause in neutral (i told you not to), then since there are no synchronizers, you'll be stuck there and it'll grind like crazy going either way. then you'll have to turn the truck off, finish the shift, and start it back up.

as said above, the binding and hopping in 4wd is normal. so don't drive in 4wd on hard dry paved surfaces or you'll put a lot of stress on the driveline. in dirt, mud, snow the driveline bind can escape easily by spinning a tire a little bit. when in 4wd on hard dry dirt, it can be hard to make a sharp turn, and requires a little stopping and backing up.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:43 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

i always did wounder why mine grinded alittle, but i will have to try that whole shifting thing. this one even helps me out!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4wd problems 1999 ram 1500 5.2