2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

overhead console

Old 09-23-2008, 08:49 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default overhead console

i was wanting to put in one of those compass computers in purple. it does not have one and ive been thinking of how conveinent it would be to have one. So, how complicated is it to do it? are the sensors and the wiring already there? thanks

Old 09-23-2008, 08:57 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've heard rumors that some trucks do have the wiring and some don't the only way to know for sure is to pull off the inner roof and check.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:00 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
I've heard rumors that some trucks do have the wiring and some don't the only way to know for sure is to pull off the inner roof and check.
well the im prolly skrued

Old 09-24-2008, 09:41 AM
APA228
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wiring is probably not in place for the console. I just put one in my '96 without any problems. Pick up a console unit with its connector,and a temperature sensor and plug on Ebay. You will need to run some wires up to the roof through the left "A" post plastic trim. Removing it will let you pull the wires down between the windshield and IP.
There will be a yellow, pink and black wire there for your dome lights, so you need to pick up an "ignition on" feed for the compass and temp feed. There will also be 2 wires for the temp sensor that need to run up to the front of the radiator support on the LS, Splice the wires to the temp sensor. The biggest pain in the whole job is removing the console without breaking the tabs that hold it in place and getting the screws out of the light fixture. The compass/temp gauge uses a different light unit from the plain console. The plastic gets brittle with age. If you need more info let me know and I will list wire colors etc. for you.
Tom

Old 10-01-2008, 05:26 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by APA228
The wiring is probably not in place for the console. I just put one in my '96 without any problems. Pick up a console unit with its connector,and a temperature sensor and plug on Ebay. You will need to run some wires up to the roof through the left "A" post plastic trim. Removing it will let you pull the wires down between the windshield and IP.
There will be a yellow, pink and black wire there for your dome lights, so you need to pick up an "ignition on" feed for the compass and temp feed. There will also be 2 wires for the temp sensor that need to run up to the front of the radiator support on the LS, Splice the wires to the temp sensor. The biggest pain in the whole job is removing the console without breaking the tabs that hold it in place and getting the screws out of the light fixture. The compass/temp gauge uses a different light unit from the plain console. The plastic gets brittle with age. If you need more info let me know and I will list wire colors etc. for you.
Tom
I get it, but how does the compass and the mpg computer get its readings?

Old 10-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Metal King 8989
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the console doesnt have an mpg reader. only temperature and compass...

and their are sensors for the temp and compass. not sure if it is all one sensor or two though

Old 10-01-2008, 09:06 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal King 8989
the console doesnt have an mpg reader.
Yes it does.

My console has a MPG display, both a trip summary MPG and an instant MPG. They aren't too accurate of course, like most vehicles with them, but they are there.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:30 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by Metal King 8989
the console doesnt have an mpg reader. only temperature and compass...

and their are sensors for the temp and compass. not sure if it is all one sensor or two though
you mean their inside the display module?

Old 10-01-2008, 10:48 PM
APA228
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The temperature sensor is separate from the unit mounted under the hood, the compass is self contained. The '96 did not come with the MPG feeds, but the later trucks did have it. It is fed from a feed from the Central Timer Module.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:55 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

sorry i have to ask, but where is that at? and what is the feed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: overhead console