2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Temp Sensor??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 01:06 AM
asylum1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxlb7@live.ca
Hi, I realize this is and OLD thread but I have just finished installing a 1998 47re in a 2001 truck and would like to share what I had to do to make the OD and TCC work. The problem was with the older gov press sensor (oval plug) temperature sensor works opposite than the newer sensor (rectangular plug). It would lock out OD because the PCM thought the fluid was -40*. I replaced just the plug for the gov prss sensor and installed the newer bracket that holds the gov press solenoid because it also retains the newer pressure sensor. Hopefully this might help someone having this issue.

Codey
@dmaxlb7
Did it shift in to OD at all? I am having the same problem as above. It will shift into OD but only after driving for 20-30 min. Please Help! No codes are being thrown and other than that trans works perfect.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:27 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by asylum1
It will shift into OD but only after driving for 20-30 min. Please Help! No codes are being thrown and other than that trans works perfect.
How cold is it outside where you live? Is your truck garaged or exposed overnight to the elements? Do you have an auxiliary cooler, whether factory installed or aftermarket? Did this problem just begin, or was it there in summertime, too?

Old 01-27-2015, 08:15 PM
asylum1

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
How cold is it outside where you live? Is your truck garaged or exposed overnight to the elements? Do you have an auxiliary cooler, whether factory installed or aftermarket? Did this problem just begin, or was it there in summertime, too?
I bought the truck with a bad transmission. I bought a used one with 75k and put it in and has never worked right. I'm in northern California the weather is not extreme. Even hot days at 100 degrees its the same thing 20-30 min of driving and it will start working. I assumed it was a faulty transmission so I pulled it and had it inspected. Nothing was found to be faulty. I did not mention that the heater only blows warm. Can this in some way be related via a sending unit? No aux cooler installed.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:24 PM
asylum1

Originally Posted by asylum1
I bought the truck with a bad transmission. I bought a used one with 75k and put it in and has never worked right. I'm in northern California the weather is not extreme. Even hot days at 100 degrees its the same thing 20-30 min of driving and it will start working. I assumed it was a faulty transmission so I pulled it and had it inspected. Nothing was found to be faulty. I did not mention that the heater only blows warm. Can this in some way be related via a sending unit? No aux cooler installed.
Also I have changed Idle position sensor, crank sensor, throttle position sensor, cam sensor, pcv and did complete tune up.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

And no codes? Would be interesting to see what the PCM thinks trans temp is....

Heater being crappy has nothing to do with it. Try backflushing the heater core, that generally helps.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:21 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Would be interesting to see what the PCM thinks trans temp is....

When the PCM sees the ATF temp being below 50F it locks out overdrive. I'd bet a dollar that that's what's happening here.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

When the PCM sees the ATF temp being below 50F it locks out overdrive. I'd bet a dollar that that's what's happening here.
Mine doesn't..... (96 though... first year for the RE) I can hit fourth gear within half a mile of the house, regardless of how cold it is outside.......

Old 01-27-2015, 10:20 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Mine doesn't..... (96 though... first year for the RE) I can hit fourth gear within half a mile of the house, regardless of how cold it is outside.......
But why would you want to? That'd be like doing my mother without a rubber or a blindfold, while sober. Or at any rate I suppose it'd be like that -- ain't no one except my father ever tried, and not since he got brewer's droop while Nixon was in the White House.

Or maybe it wasn't brewer's droop? I dunno. It surely wasn't good sense.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

But why would you want to? That'd be like doing my mother without a rubber or a blindfold, while sober. Or at any rate I suppose it'd be like that -- ain't no one except my father ever tried, and not since he got brewer's droop while Nixon was in the White House.

Or maybe it wasn't brewer's droop? I dunno. It surely wasn't good sense.
I would imagine it warms the fluid faster.......

Old 01-28-2015, 11:25 AM
dmaxlb7@live.ca
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

asylum1,

The truck would not shift into OD for me at all but I live in northern BC and it was cold at the time. If your truck is 1999 or newer you need the governor pressure sensor with the rectangular plug and the one with the oval plug if it is older.

Quick Reply: 46RE Temp Sensor??