2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

squeak while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 11:56 AM
RamWood
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default squeak while accelerating

My truck will squeak squeak squeak squeak faster and faster as my truck accelerates. when I let off the gas the noise is gone. It's not so much the click that a bad U-joint makes. and it's ONLY while my foot is on the gas.

Maybe the U-joint for the drive shaft? I want to say its more centered under the truck then in the front end.

any help is appreciated thanks.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:02 PM
tazman6789
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a serpentine belt squeaking, could be one of the pulleys on the serpentine system, or it could be the gasket under ur air filter. theres a thin piece of rubber on top of ur intake and if that dry rots and breaks it can cause a hissing sound as it sucks air in. Sounds more like serpentine belt related tho. take the belt off and grab each pully see if they spin freely left to right, and see if they have any sort of woble to them, they shouldnt have any woble, if they do thats prob where ur squeek is comming from, if you dont know how long its been sense the belt got changed u might as well change it, better safe than sorry if that thing breaks

Old 10-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Sharpsshooter
Rookie

Thinking out loud:

Seems to be speed or RPM related. Does it seem to get faster in relation to speed or RPMs? If that doesn't make sense, let me know.

Must have something to do with the the truck while under load or torque...

Have you tried feathering the brakes while this is happening?

Do the long bed trucks have a carrier bearing on the driveshaft?

Old 10-08-2008, 05:32 PM
dodgeman22
Veteran

im thinking u joint, i had a squeek under acceleration and it was a driveshaft u joint simple fix

The following users liked this post:
Rebel Sharpshooter (05-23-2021)
Old 10-08-2008, 05:37 PM
RamWood
Professional

I just know that it stops the second I take my foot off the gas.

If I had to guess I think it's speed related I want to say it squeaks about every time the tire would rotate. and it does not make that sound unless the truck is moving.

To me it sounds like it's the U-joint but I looked under there and they don't look rusted out. and I would think that the sound would be there regardless of if I was on the throttle or not.

I have the extended cab short box 4x4

The following users liked this post:
Rebel Sharpshooter (05-23-2021)
Old 10-08-2008, 05:38 PM
RamWood
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgeman22
im thinking u joint, i had a squeek under acceleration and it was a driveshaft u joint simple fix
I was writing my post when you put yours in. I am thinking so also.

does anybody know how I can tell if it's the drive shaft U-joint for sure. (don't want to fix what is not broken)

Old 10-08-2008, 05:41 PM
dodgeman22
Veteran

yea thats exactly what mine did and they dont have to be rusty to mean they are shot, if you can pop off your drive shaft (block the wheels) had just turn them a bit and see if they feel rough

Old 10-08-2008, 06:39 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

park truck on level ground, block wheels, trans in neutral, all tension off the drive line. grab ahold of the drive shaft on both sides of the u-joint and twist back and forth. there should be absolutely no movement and seals should be perfectly intact. any damage to seals, or any movement at all, even a hair, means they're bad. check front and back. if either is bad, i'd replace both with greasable joints.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:20 PM
dodgeman22
Veteran

yes i agree as well and always buy the greasable type there a better u joint that and when you completely submerse your driveshaft in water remember to grease water can get in there and destroy a u joint in a hurry

Old 10-08-2008, 09:21 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

IMHO, you cant beat the spicer joints. However, the only place I can get em around here is at a place called Inland Truck Parts.

Worth the money though, I've had issues with cheaper joints.

Quick Reply: squeak while accelerating