2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dual Batteries? Radiator leak!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 07:18 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Dual Batteries? Radiator leak!

So this is a 2 part posting...first...and most important!

Has anyone experienced having a leak at the base of the tubing that comes from the radiator to (I believe) the tranny cooler? It is block shaped and small...could look it up in Haynes but I can't it right now!

Is it as simple as replacing the tubing or am I about to get myself into a lot of work?!? It is small...seems to drip most when the engine is cool but when hot it doesn't. Also (added bonus question) has anyone installed and used a 210 thermostat? I believe ours is 180...

2nd part:
I was thinking of installing a 2nd batter so I can run my PIAAs, cb and anything else off of that. Any insight on how to do this or direction? I want to also run 12V connections throughout the truck to have direct plugins...I was dying hunting this weekend without fresh coffee! We were too lazy to boil water :P

Thanks guys! and umm gals?!

Old 10-12-2008, 07:25 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

So I found a posting but it didn't really help on on instructions or suggestions to how to install dual batteries...I want to use an isolator.

The posting I found is at https://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthr...dual+batteries

Old 10-12-2008, 07:28 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

I might of just answered my own question the dual batteries with isolator...found pdf instructions at: http://static.summitracing.com/globa...ns/pwm-904.pdf

But do not know if that isolator will work on my truck.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:58 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have all kinda lights on my truck. I have tons of lights on my car and did on my old truck. I always ran normal single batteries with no problems. My blue lights might not draw what PIAA's do but i can see them drawing that much. If your that worried about it wouldn't it be easier to get a optima battery?

Old 10-13-2008, 12:22 AM
TIMIDONE
All Star

Its not just the drain...I want my cb to be on its own battery also because I hear the draw from the battery as I am climbing a mountain.

Also I want to be able to have a battery I can use when the truck is not turned on...mostly 12V connection items...plus the PIAAs can be on a different battery so I can run them with the engine off.

Many reasons...

Old 10-13-2008, 03:21 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

thats not draw off of the battery your hearing when engine is at higher rpm.. its "engine noise"... normally caused by bad ground.. or a non filtered circuit that the cb is plugged into.. this can happen when using the 12v cig lighter to power.. or even on direct connection to the battery with the 'not so good' wire.. try running a decent guage ground wire directly to chassis of the truck (a bolt that holds the seat in place is a good source) .. then hook the other end directly to the back of the cb.. using one of the case screws.. it does work.. trust me

Old 10-13-2008, 04:06 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

all my stuff is pretty much direct off the battery and can be ran with the truck off. what are you going to do for a charging system?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:33 AM
TIMIDONE
All Star

WOW been a LOONG time since I've been on this forum! Never got around to the dual batteries but now my battery took a dump so off I am to get an optima battery. If I can get it at a decent price I'm gonna get two and finally finish this project!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:20 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get the passenger side battery tray off a cummins(it will bolt right in) and get the battery cables for the 2nd battery off the cummins also. every thing will bolt right up.

i have dual batteries on my truck, kinda a must have when plowing(at least thats how i feel)

its pretty easy to do, and you dont need an isolator. it will be fine without one.

i can get you some pics later of my dual battery setup later if you wish?!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Doesn't the 98 have the leak detection pump, and other assorted EVAP gear where the second battery tray would go?

Quick Reply: Dual Batteries? Radiator leak!