2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Broken Latch On Quad Cab

Old 06-02-2012, 07:41 PM
BLACKSHEEP757
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad i stumbled across this 1.. To see that its a very common problem.my rear drivers door quit opening a week ago and i hadnt even thought about searching for it yet....now maybe i wont destroy my door when i do get around to it....think ill just go ahead and order 2 latches and white lith the snot out of them and swap them both out now and never worry about it again!

Old 06-03-2012, 12:35 AM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran

spray it really good with pb blaster letit soak and kick it open once open keep spraying till it works

Old 06-03-2012, 12:47 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cable to the door latch is bad about breaking a little plastic piece on the end. If handle moes but nothing happens, check those.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Blix Gadsden

Same thing happened on my 2001 Quad cab driver's side rear door. Suck a nozzle under the latch and sprayed the heck out of the latch with WD-40. No luck. Pushed, pulled, grabbed, no luck. Took off handle in jamb, pulled up on lower rod... Voila! Little screw on rod actuator arms was almost all the way backe off and was letting the Y shaped arm deflect, thus limiting the travel of the lower rod. Went to tighten it but couldn't get my fingers or a tool in there enough. Bit the bullet and removed the door panel and inside latch. Took jamb handle all the way out, tightened the little nut, applied some lithium grease. Before re assenbly, cycled the upper and lower latch with a screwdriver and sprayed white lithium grease in both positions. Clycled the door open-shut several times and re-opened pulling on rods. Smoothed-out operation. Re installed jamb latch, pulled up rods slightly to remove slack and pressed into retainers. Cycled to ensure proper operation. Re-installed inner-latch and door panel. All good. Took 2 hrs work. Got panel holders off of door and back onto panel OK, but would recommend getting a handful before you start the job and put in the new ones instead of the old. These posts were very helpful, thanks, y'all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broken Latch On Quad Cab