Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Broken Latch On Quad Cab

Old 11-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Rookie

Default Broken Latch On Quad Cab

I cannot get the rear passengers side door to open on my 98 sport. I pulled the door panel off and all of the hardware was still hooked up, both metal rods were straight and moving with the handles. The upper latch will open and let the top of the door move out a little, but the lower latch is borken or something.

I have removed both rods and both handles and tried to pull down on the top latch and pull up on the bottom latch to make the door open so I can replace what is needed, but I can't get the damn lower latch to open. And I don't know if I can get it open without ruining the door.

Does anyone have any tips to get it open whenyou can't get to anything? I have thought about taking a sawzall and cutting the lower latch off, but I don't think it can be done.

But any help would be appreciated.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Professional

Vehicle: Ram 1500

same thing happened to my ram but it was the driver's side door
Old 11-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Legend

Vehicle: 2005 Silverado LT 4x4 Crew Cab 5.3
@nate_kent

The same thing happend to mine too! EKK!
Old 11-05-2008, 01:39 AM
Rookie

So........What do you do? Just leave it or is there a solution?
Old 11-06-2008, 01:51 AM
Rookie

Priced the latch from the dealer and its $88, thats just rediclious for a little damn latch, but I gotta get the old one out first. I'd really like to be able to use all 4 doors if they are there, so if anyone knows a secret to get the bastard out I'd really like to hear it
Old 11-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 05 Dodge Ram Hemi, Duals, 4 inch lift
Default Door Problem here also!!

Hey my 01 Ram QC passenger rear door wont open from the inside, it does open if you try the outer handle. I have not tore into it yet but I ll let you know what I find if anything. Not much help but as I heard on here before misery loves company
Old 11-06-2008, 03:47 PM

Vehicle: '98 Ram 1500 5.9L

Yeah my rear passenger door won't open from the inside either. I haven't figured it out yet for lack of time. My rear drivers side stopped working inside and out once but it was already open and I was messing with it I believe I pulled a rod juuuuust right and was able to get it back together.

The way these handles and latches are put together is crazy.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:01 AM
Rookie

If it doesn't open from the inside its probably just the cable. But I have the door panel off and all of the guts out, but I cannot get the damn bottom latch to release. I can pull the top of the door out a little bit, but the bottom latch won't budge. I have soaked it down for a week and still nothing. The latch moves up and down like normal, but the mechanism is not working like it should. If the truck has 4 doors I'd like to be able to use them all.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Professional

Vehicle: 99 Ram 1500 4x4 slt

grease everyhting really good
Old 11-13-2008, 02:36 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarking135 View Post
grease everyhting really good
Ok then what? I have been soaking the thing down with PB Blaster for 3 weeks and nothing has happened. The lower latch is broken and does not operate correct, so greasing it will really do nothing. I need a solution to get the latch out without replacing the rear door.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:05 PM

Vehicle: 98 Ram Sport 4x4 Quad,5.9 360, Auto, Flowmaster 40, Wrangler 265/75-16s, Skyjacker 9000's, K&N CAI

Both of my rear doos set up on me also. What I did was I bought a can of the almighty Seafoam and sprayed it down real good. This stuff works miracles. Let it set for a couple of days. Enlist the help of a friend to pull on the door while pulling the inside handle while you (hehe) "kick" the door from the inside. It took a couple of tries but my latches finally gave in to the abuse. The latches no longer worked but at least they were stuck in the opened position so I could use the doors again. BTW, $5 at the local wrecking yard. Just make sure they work before you try to take them out because the bolts will probably snap off on you.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Rookie

I got the new latch, rods, and the lower latch pin from a local dealer for $60 and they said to just take the sawzall and cut the pin off and replace it. So I might get to it this weekend, but don't know if I will have time
Old 10-15-2010, 11:50 AM

Take off the rear inside panel then take off the vent so you can reach inside. Spray the lower hinge with PB Blaster and take off the 3 nuts, also take off the door latch itself with the two rods and inner cable. work the door back and forth a little bit the take pry bar a use it on the bottom latch but not to hard or you will dent body. after the door seems to be very loose give it a good kick or to from the inside. On mine it popped right open then took alll the inards out and replaced them works like new if you have any questions for more detail let me know.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Buck 69 View Post
Take off the rear inside panel then take off the vent so you can reach inside. Spray the lower hinge with PB Blaster and take off the 3 nuts, also take off the door latch itself with the two rods and inner cable. work the door back and forth a little bit the take pry bar a use it on the bottom latch but not to hard or you will dent body. after the door seems to be very loose give it a good kick or to from the inside. On mine it popped right open then took alll the inards out and replaced them works like new if you have any questions for more detail let me know.
Did you happen to notice that this thread hasn't had a post in pushing two years?????? Or, that the member in question hasn't been here for quite some time?????
Old 10-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Did you happen to notice that this thread hasn't had a post in pushing two years?????? Or, that the member in question hasn't been here for quite some time?????
Easy. Chances are someone ran into this same issue and will be able to find this thread now. Maybe he will help someone. Plus, rather lengthen an old thread than start 18 new ones.
PA Truck Club #2
Old 10-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideordie View Post
Easy. Chances are someone ran into this same issue and will be able to find this thread now. Maybe he will help someone. Plus, rather lengthen an old thread than start 18 new ones.
And they could find it the same way this guy did. Not like there ever prune the boards here.... that, and I think this actually made its way into the DIY section as well.....

It's just Netiquette. You don't bump multiyear old threads.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Amateur

My latch story:

My lower latch on the driver's side was completely seized. Searched forever for a yard with one - EVERY SINGLE LATCH HAD BEEN HARVESTED. Bought a new one from the dealer for 125 bucks. Sadly, the dealer STOCKS these @#$@# things.

Opened the inside panel, undid the 3 nuts. Ground the bolts off with a Dremel, including the top lever thing so it would clear the hole. Door opened.

I still couldn't pry that damn latch off, so I cut it in half with the Dremel and installed a new one.

Zero damage to the door.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:40 PM

Vehicle: "01" Dodge Ram 1500 v8 5.9L Magnum
Unhappy Door latch on rear 1/2door

I have a 2001 dodge ram quad cab both rear1/2 dr opens & closed fine when i got the trk 4/17/10 but now the divers side rear 1/2 dr gives me hell most of the time i got to push in pretty good to make it release it appears to be the inside not the latch it's self the cable prt that operates the latch ,is this about the same issue as listed below... Ill take all the help on it i can get
Old 01-18-2011, 06:15 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Dode Ram 1500 4x4
Default 99 ram 1500

i just bought a 99 quad cab two days ago and my rear doors are also stuck shut. my top latch also loosens when i open the handle, but sticks on bottom. cant find a whole lot of info. I want my doors back. i am afraid i will break the door panels when try to pull them off.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Grab the 01 service manual from the FAQ section here. Should have pics of what you need to know to get 'em off without destroying them. (don't expect it to be much fun though.)
Old 01-18-2011, 11:37 AM

Tags
1500, 1999, 2001, bottom, cab, cable, chevy, dodge, door, latch, lower, open, quad, ram, rear, s10, truck