Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission does not engage in any gear

Old 11-11-2008, 09:58 PM

Vehicle: 1995 dodge ram 1500
Default Transmission does not engage in any gear

Newbie here looking for some help. Its a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9 motor with an Automatic trans. About 3-4 months ago it did not shift into overdrive. That did not bother me much since I didn't use overdrive much, but today my transmission does not seem to engage in any gear. This just happened on my way home from the gas station, luckily it happened only a block away from home.
Is it time for a new rebuild or can it be a bad sensor or something?

The truck has ran perfect until today (with the exception of the overdrive not working).

Any help would be appreciated.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Record Breaker

Vehicle: '99 F350 PSD
Send a message via AIM to MonteC

Time for a rebuild. When the transmission wont engauge any gear than you have a mechanical problem, internally.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Record Breaker

Vehicle: 95 Ram 1500

You didn't say anything about the tranny fluid color, smell, level. The last time it was serviced and how. Noises or anything.
95 1500 5.9, 3" SJ Sys Diesel Coils, 35" Trxus M/T, 16" Streetlocks, 4.56, Auburn Posi, Ox Lock, Hella, Remote start, K&N, Flowmaster50, 4x4 Posi-Lok, Custom bumpers, 9500 winch, 1-ton Steering, AGR SuperPump, RedHead Gear, Corbeau seats
Old 11-12-2008, 02:20 PM

Vehicle: 1995 dodge ram 1500

Thanks for the quick replies. I went to see if can I move it this morning and I was able to shift it to D and drive it home. I was only able to drive it about 5-10mph. If I gave it more gas the engine rpm just went higher, but the car would still only move about the same speed.

I looked at the fluid from the dipstick and it looks normal, but I'll drop the pan later today to get a better look. I didn't smell anything out of the ordinary and I didn't hear any weird noises coming from the trans.

I'm afraid Montec's right but I was just hoping there's a cheaper fix since money is kind tight right now.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 2500HD 4x4 5.9

If it is savable with a band adjustment and fluid change, driving it isn't going to help. And you have to adjust the rear band while the pan is off.The front one is done from outside. And use ATF+4 .
2000 2500HD 4X4 5.9 and 4:10's,HF tuned SCT,Red-Head gear box, HS 1.7's,
50mm Fastman TB, Hughes Plate,2" Hell Bent ,Volant CAI
Flowmaster 50 series, Rock Solid Ram Steering fix,B&M trans cooler,fuzzy dice good for 5HP

Last edited by zman17; 11-12-2008 at 02:31 PM..
Old 11-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Champion

Vehicle: 01 Ram 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubee View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I went to see if can I move it this morning and I was able to shift it to D and drive it home. I was only able to drive it about 5-10mph. If I gave it more gas the engine rpm just went higher, but the car would still only move about the same speed.

I looked at the fluid from the dipstick and it looks normal, but I'll drop the pan later today to get a better look. I didn't smell anything out of the ordinary and I didn't hear any weird noises coming from the trans.

I'm afraid Montec's right but I was just hoping there's a cheaper fix since money is kind tight right now.
No sense in dropping the pan... You know something is wrong more than fluid. Have it towed to the shop and get fixed, or look for an aftermarket tranny. When my tranny went, the overdrive clip/ring/jobber snapped and worked its way into the clutches. I lost overdrive... and eventually lost everything.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Veteran

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L 4X4 (Big White)

4x4? might be stuck in 4 low of maybe even in neutral. Stupid things like that happen
Cab lights($18)-Driving lights($25)-Bull Guard (Free)-Flowmaster Super 44 Turned Down-K&N Drop in(Free)-Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Stabilizer($50)-II-Midland CB($30)-Dual Antennas ($35)-Superchips 3815 ($250 Ebay)-HB 2' Leveling Kit-BFG 285/75/16-2 10's infinity.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:17 PM
All Star

Kind of what I'm looking at. If I had the money, a new mid-grade APS transmission would be my best bet, as well as redoing the exhaust for better flow.

Stock exhaust system seems to eventually cause a lot of failure.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:17 PM

Tags
2000, 2006, 34, automatic, car, caravan, carlo, dodge, engage, find, gear, monte, overdrive, problem, transmission