2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Freeze plug pics and a question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 06:33 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

rubber is definitely short term only use.

thanks for using the search feature!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:13 AM
APA228
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Electrolysis happens whenever there are 2 disimilar metals in contact with each other and a liquid touches both of them. There is a flow of electrons between them as the tiny electrical charge between them tries to neutralize itself. The metal with the stronger negative charge dissolves slowly because it loses electrons until it reaches the point that it is too weak to be useful. It is a normal situation most often seen in boats used in salt water. The electroplating process is the same thing except that it is forced by using DC current to speed the process. About all you can do is check for the PH value of your AF mix. It should be as close to neutral (7) as possible. If it is strongly acidic or basic it will speed electrolysis in the engine and cooling system, radiator included.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:16 PM
gobbell1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am rebuilding my tranny at the moment and snapped a pic of my rear freeze plugs for everyone to see. Note there are 2 in the block (different sizes) and 1 at the back of each head. Mine has not started leaking yet...but while I have the tranny out, they are getting replaced.

Last edited by gobbell1; 02-01-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Freeze plug pics and a question