2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stalls in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 05:05 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crank sensor is very easily damaged when removing and resinstalling transmission. Check and see what it looks like and see if wire is pinched between trans and engine.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:39 PM
patrickb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody have a solution for a 98 2500 that stalls slowly over a 5 second period then starts right back up and is fine after that for about an hour. So far I overhauled it, new front pump, converter,valve body twice, solenoids disconected test, no codes, and I still have the original issue. aaaahhhhh!!!

Old 09-15-2014, 12:12 PM
Paul D. Baker

Having the same issue with my 2001 Ram 1500 5.2. It seems that no one really has a solution for this stalling only in reverse. How can a motor run perfectly and go in drive with no problem and then you put it in reverse and it stalls. Why is the question ? can anyone tell me what sensors come into play in reverse that are different then drive.If the transmission has problems than I would think it would not move the vehicle and not stall the motor.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Transmissions can do some weird stuff...... Probably wouldn't hurt to drop the pan, and see what you find. Especially if it hasn't been done for a while. Fluid/filter change, and a band adjustment is where I would start.

According to theory, the PCM is supposed to bump the idle a bit when going from Park/Neutral to a drive gear. It's possible that the neutral safety switch is going bad, but, I would hold out a lot of hope for that being the only problem.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:31 AM
xplorer82
Professional

Originally Posted by Paul D. Baker
Having the same issue with my 2001 Ram 1500 5.2. It seems that no one really has a solution for this stalling only in reverse. How can a motor run perfectly and go in drive with no problem and then you put it in reverse and it stalls. Why is the question ? can anyone tell me what sensors come into play in reverse that are different then drive.If the transmission has problems than I would think it would not move the vehicle and not stall the motor.
I went thru this same situation right after I bought my truck.

I swapped all sensors one by one. it got pretty costly but I seen so many threads dealing with this same issue, no one really ever gave a clear solution by updating their threads so I bite the bullet and did one piece at a time till I solved it.

I have a thread floating around about it, including my symptoms. which was stalling only in reverse. I could fire it up, throw it in drive and take off no problems. I could throw it in neutral and let it idle, no problems. I could throw it in 1st and take right off, no problems. But if I threw it in reverse it would stall.

now after I managed to finally get out of my driveway and drive for awhile, shut it down, come back and throw it in reverse it would be perfectly fine... It was mainly on the first start up of the day. for the rest of the day I could drive in reverse if I wanted too.

After all of the new parts installed one at a time, I finally swapped in a new Crank sensor and it cured it. It is a hard part to swap, but with a little patience, a few swear words and a bloody knuckle or two, it can be done. Took me about 2+ hours iirc. hope you have a bunch of swivel's for your ratchet and some long extensions.

I guarantee, you swap in a new crank sensor your problem will go right away. I used the BWD brand from Advance auto. Buy it online and use A124 code to get some cash off

Old 11-20-2014, 05:02 PM
bigdaddy326
Default 1999 Dodge Ram stalls in reverse solved

Thank you Paul Baker! I own a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD EXT 5.2L with automatic trans, any time temp dropped below 40 degrees I could not start the truck and use reverse, engine would die. Not bog down or stutter, flat out DIE. I could shift into park, neutral or drive no problem. Each time after engine died I would shift into park for restart, and engine would crank for a while like it was flooded, then finally spark and take off. I was forced to drive the truck forward for about 5 minutes and then wouldn't have problem for rest of day.

Stall in reverse was never an issue with temps above 40 degrees. Reverse worked like a champ in warm weather. Dealt with this problem for years.

I had transmission rebuilt, replaced PCM, tried new TPS, everything checked OK on the TCC, crank sensor resistance checked OK. Transmission shop, dealer, auto repair shop were all stumped at problem.

After reading your experience I broke down and spent $300 to replace crank sensor. New crank sensor solved the problem! It's possible the multimeter the shop used to gauge the crank sensor resistance was displaying average resistance without regard to deviation, or maybe the old crank sensor got bent sometime in the past and old crank sensor was giving inaccurate signal. At this point the technicalities don't matter ... I'm just thrilled the truck is fixed!

Old 11-21-2014, 02:53 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So that's 2 members confirming the crank sensor is culprit for this problem. That must have been highly frustrating all the time and money trying to sort it out. Glad you got it worked out. Great job!

Old 03-30-2015, 06:56 PM
tslice

have the same condition on 2002 ram 5.9l gas stalls in reverse with slight acceleration
as well will shift erratic in drive like convertor is engaging and when i come to lite will stall if i restart and give slight acceleration will be fine

Old 03-31-2015, 07:46 AM
Paul D. Baker

I had this same problem and tried many of the suggestions mentioned with no cure. The one and only thing that fixed was I replace the crankshaft positioning sensor (can be a little difficult based on it placement on the bell housing close to firewall. After the change all my problems were solved.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:13 PM
mechanicinprocess
Default Stalls in reverse

Try changing out the crank sensor, I was workin on a 99 dodge ram 1500 that had that same problem n whenever it was put in reverse it would die n just changed out that part n it never had that problem again, hope this helps some of you

Quick Reply: Stalls in reverse