2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Unusal starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:37 PM
josiechapman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusal starting problem

Hello,

I just replaced my starter two days ago, the battery was replaced with a 800 CCA Duralast and today I went to the parts store and was only in there 5 minutes came out and my truck would not start, no clicking, would not jump start, could not cross jump the starter, tried a new starter relay, nothing. I called for a tow and 30 minutes later I tried to start it and it started right up.

I had only driven 10 minutes, the ambient temp was 45 degrees, my truck wasn't overheating or even smelled funny of any electrical burning. The battery read 12.86 volts.

I disconnected the positive several times to break any electrical bond that could have caused the non starting issue.

Could something have heated up or just a fluke? Does anyone have any suggestions?

1998 Laramie 4x4, 5.2L, single cab, 3" lift.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 02-12-2014, 10:45 PM
BucksnDucks

Neutral Safety Switch maybe? Next time it does it see if it will start in Neutral. Mine will start 20 times normally but occasionally I'll turn the key...nothing. I put it in Neutral and it will start.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:46 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Same thing happened to me one day after cleaning connections. Frantically found someone to jump it, but nothing. Then I noticed the clamp on positive post was loose. Recheck all grounds and connections, just in case.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:02 PM
AppelH
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check for loose connections on the starter itself? Since you just changed it, maybe something got overlooked. If the starter isn't getting power, it doesn't matter if you jump it, brand new battery etc, its not going to turn over the motor.

Im not sure what cross jumping the starter means (although I may have a faint idea), but if it disproves my theory, disregard it.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:11 PM
josiechapman
Smile Found the problem

It was weird, Auto Zone sold me a bum starter. Got a new one and no problem since. But I did notice that I was getting shocked every time I slide out of the truck. Come to find out the DLR which my truck does not have was grounding to the chassis. I took the fuse out and it stopped, but now I have to find where it was grounding out?

Any suggestions on the grounding part even if your truck does not have Day running lights? I am guessing that it is part of the wire harness as an option?

Thanks,

Joe

Old 03-02-2014, 12:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Grab the 01 service manual, and have a look at the wiring diagrams. I would suspect and connectors that are specifically for the DRLs. There may be a relay in the Power distribution center for them, but, if you truck was not equipped with them, the relay probably isn't there either.

Quick Reply: Unusal starting problem